UB announces broad-based fee increase proposal

Students asked to give feedback about proposed Comprehensive Fee increase

<p>The university says the 3.54% Broad-based Fee increase is meant to ensure UB adheres to state-mandated increases in university finances and services.</p>

The university says the 3.54% Broad-based Fee increase is meant to ensure UB adheres to state-mandated increases in university finances and services.

UB formally requested student input on a proposed five-year Broad-based Fee increase plan in an email to students on Monday.

The university says the 3.54% increase — set to begin in the 2023-24 school year — is meant to ensure UB adheres to state-mandated increases in university finances and services. 

The Broad-based Fee includes what students see listed as “comprehensive fees” on their financial statements, which includes the Academic Excellence and Success Fee, Athletics Fee, Campus Life Fee, Career Services Fee, College Fee, Health Fee, Recreation Fee, Technology Fee, Transcript Fee and Transportation Fee. 

The proposed increase will allow UB to increase minimum wage for students, upgrade classrooms, support the academic and research needs of students, develop new programs to promote diversity and inclusion, and provide access to career services, UB said in its statement. 

Students are encouraged to provide suggestions for the changes and improvement of services through special advisory groups and a survey found in MyUB.

“UB strives to remain as one of the nation’s best values in higher education and will continue to be a major public university and the premier public institution in the Northeast with continued student support,” a statement from the Office of the Vice President for Student Life said.

Students may comment on the proposed increase through this form, which will be open from Monday, Feb. 6 to Friday, Feb. 17. 

Morgan S.T. Ross is an assistant news editor and can be reached at morgan.ross@ubspectrum.com 

MORGAN S.T. ROSS

Morgan Ross is an assistant news/features editor.