Softball goes 2-3 in Spartan/Pirate Classic

Bulls fall to 3-10 after five-game set in Virginia this weekend

<p>UB softball sits at 3-10 on the season after winning two of their five games at the Spartan/Pirate Classic.&nbsp;</p>

UB softball sits at 3-10 on the season after winning two of their five games at the Spartan/Pirate Classic. 

Softball (3-10) traveled to Norfolk, Virginia this weekend for the team’s third invitational of the 2023 season. The Bulls won two out of five games and sit at 3-10 on the season. 

UB faced off against Stony Brook (4-4) on Friday for their first game of the weekend. UB’s offense couldn’t seem to get their footing, finding themselves on the wrong side of the run-rule. The Bulls were fanned six times by Stony Brook junior starting pitcher Mia Haynes. 

UB was able to keep the game close until a two-run home run by junior infielder Ashley Jacobson sealed a victory for the Seawolves. 

UB faced off against Norfolk State (6-3) Friday afternoon, their second game of a two-game slate. The Bulls took an early 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning via a double in the gap by junior left fielder Sara Kelly, knocking in junior middle infielder Tianna Williams. An error and past-ball in the top of the fifth inning by the Spartans helped UB tack on two more runs. 

Senior starting pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn shined in the Bulls’ 3-0 bounce-back victory, recording a complete game shutout in seven innings of play. Lucyshyn struck out a career-high 14 in the victory. 

The Bulls faced Hampton University (6-4) Saturday morning. The Pirates got out in front in the bottom of the second inning. Fifth-year catcher Emily Kappe reached on an error, eventually stealing third and scoring via a Bulls wild pitch. 

The score stayed stagnant until the fifth inning, when a timely RBI double by Williams put the Bulls on the board, knotting the game up at one a piece. Despite out-hitting the Pirates seven to three, the Bulls couldn’t come away with the victory as Hampton freshman infielder Taylor Ivey hit a walk-off RBI double to win the game. 

UB took on Colgate University (5-7) Saturday afternoon. Both offenses were quiet through three innings, with the first two runs of the game coming in the fourth inning. Back-to-back errors by the Bulls proved to be costly, allowing the Raiders to take a 2-0 lead. 

The Raiders’ key to victory was a stellar outing by senior starting pitcher Bailey Misken, who carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning, with junior infielder Madison Fernimen recording the Bulls only hit of the day. With the game called in the seventh inning due to rain, the Bulls moved to 0-5 all-time against Colgate. 

The Bulls wrapped up their weekend with a game against Saint Peter’s University (3-1) Sunday morning. UB finished the weekend strong with an 8-6 victory over the Peacocks. 

The Bulls will travel to Clinton, South Carolina next weekend to compete in the PC Invitational. They are set to face Presbyterian College (13-2) in a double header Friday, along with a double header against Queens University of Charlotte (5-5) Saturday. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com