Softball goes 0-4 in UTEP Invitational

The Bulls are 1-7 after the first two weeks of the season

The Bulls are 1-7 after slow starts in their first two invitationals this season.

Softball (1-7) traveled to the UTEP Invitational in El Paso, Texas for the team’s second invitational of the season. UB lost all four games of the invitational, putting them at 1-7 after their second series of the season. 

The Bulls faced Texas Tech (8-2) on Thursday to open up the invitational. UB got on the board early when freshman infielder Abbey Nagel hit a double to allow senior infielder Brianna Castro to score, putting them up 1-0. 

It wasn’t until the fifth inning when the Red Raiders got ahead, scoring twice. Junior pitcher Julia Tarantino was able to keep the Bulls in the game, striking out six batters. In the sixth inning, Texas Tech added a third run resulting in a 3-1 UB loss.

Thursday evening, UB faced UTEP (4-5). The Bulls took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning after freshman catcher Lily Lauck hit a single, allowing senior pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn to score. 

The Miners bounced back quickly at the bottom of the fourth inning, taking the lead at 2-1. In the fifth inning, the Bulls were challenged when UTEP hit a two-run homer. UB could not score again, resulting in a 4-1 defeat. 

On Friday afternoon, UB faced Santa Clara (3-5). The Bulls fell behind early in the second inning — the Broncos held a 1-0 lead as the Bulls struggled to find hits. Castro and senior outfielder Kate Vara were the only two Bulls to get a hit in the game, while the Broncos recorded 11 hits. 

Santa Clara scored a run in the third inning, putting them up 5-0 and putting the game out of reach for the Bulls, who would go on to lose 6-0.

UB played New Mexico (3-5) on Friday night to wrap up the Invitational. The Lobos knocked in four runs in the first inning, putting the Bulls down 4-0 early on. UB managed to hold off UNM in the second inning and scored a run of their own. Junior infielder Tianna Williams picked up a hit to help freshman outfielder Mia Mitchell cross the plate. 

But  New Mexico scored seven runs in the third inning to put the Bulls behind 11-1. In the fourth inning, Tianna Williams hit a single and helped freshman infielder Taylynn Williams score. With UB down nine (11-2), the game ended in five innings when the Bulls couldn’t mount a comeback. 

UB will head to Virginia next weekend to compete in the Spartan/Pirate Classic. The Bulls will face Stony Brook (2-3), Norfolk State (5-2), Hampton (2-2), Colgate (2-4) and Saint Peter’s (1-1) on Friday through Sunday. 

Amy Maslin is a sports editor and can be reached at amy.maslin@ubspectrum.com