UB wastes no time in victory against UMass

A powerful performance in the second quarter catapults Bulls to a 34-7 victory against the Minutemen

After a 0-3 start to the season, UB football has won four games in a row and will face off against MAC West-leading Toledo on Saturday.

UB football (4-3, 3-0 MAC) made short work of the UMass Minutemen (1-6) in its 34-7 win this past Saturday at McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst, MA. 

The Bulls’ victory marks their fourth-consecutive win this season. UB continues to maintain its No. 1 spot in the MAC East. 

Junior quarterback Cole Snyder went 20-for-31 with three touchdowns and two interceptions for a total of 277 yards. Snyder has thrown five interceptions so far this season, but his chemistry with graduate wide receivers Justin Marshall and Quian Williams has played a major role in UB’s four-game winning-streaks.  

The offensive trio shined in the second quarter, as Snyder connected with Williams for a four-yard passing touchdown. Snyder also managed to throw a 49-yard missile to Marshall for a score with five minutes remaining in the second quarter. Marshall finished with three receptions for 75 total yards and a touchdown while Williams secured a modest three receptions for nine yards and a touchdown. 

The Bulls weren’t forced to rely on Williams and Marshall to handle the bulk of the receiving load, as junior wide receiver Cole Harrity (three receptions for 46 yards and a touchdown), sophomore wide receiver Jamari Gassett (four receptions for 85 yards) and graduate wide receiver Boobie Curry (two receptions for 26 yards) all contributed to the UB passing attack. 

The Bulls were also able to take advantage on the ground, as redshirt freshman running back Al-Jay Henderson rushed for 99 yards, including an 84-yard bolt to put UB up 17-0 in the third quarter. 

Senior running back Ron Cook Jr. had 11 carries for 43 yards and redshirt freshman running back Mike Washington rushed 14 times for 42 yards. 

As far as the Bulls’ defensive front goes, graduate safety Jahmin Muse and junior defensive tackle Jaylen Bass teamed up for a sack while fifth-year linebacker James Patterson also took the quarterback down in the backfield. UB’s defense provided an even-split effort as Patterson (seven tackles), junior safety Keyshawn Cobb, (seven tackles) and junior linebacker Shaun Doulac (six tackles) worked as a unit to suppress the Minutemen’s offense. 

UMass Redshirt sophomore quarterback Garrett Dzuro struggled to make any explosive plays, as he finished Saturday’s game with seven completed passes for 99 yards. As Dzuro struggled, UMass sent out backup quarterback Zamar Wise, who completed one pass out of five attempts for nine yards. 

UMass redshirt senior running back Ellis Merriweather scored the Minutemen’s only touchdown with a five-yard run in the second quarter.

The Bulls will face off against the Toledo Rockets (5-2, 3-0 MAC) on Saturday at 1 p.m. The winner will secure sole possession of first place in the MAC.

Dylan Greco is the senior sports editor and can be reached at dylan.greco@ubspectrum.com