2022 midterms: what to know about Election Day at UB

UB will provide Election Day shuttle service; early voting to begin Oct. 29

<p>Sweet Home High School will be the sole drop-off polling site for this year’s midterm elections.</p>

Sweet Home High School will be the sole drop-off polling site for this year’s midterm elections.

UB students will head to the polls on Tuesday, Nov. 8 to mark their ballots for the 2022 midterms. 

Incumbent Democratic Governor Kathy Hochul will face off against her Republican challenger Lee Zeldin in her bid for re-election as voters mull over other contested positions in city and statewide offices, the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Students registered to vote may do so in person on Election Day or by absentee ballot during the early voting period between Oct. 29 and Nov. 6, according to the NYS board of elections website. Voters may also visit county-wide polling sites to vote early in person.

Students who cannot vote in person or are registered to vote in another county can request an absentee ballot application by mail or through the NYS online portal by Oct. 24. Voters may also apply for absentee ballots in person up until Nov. 7.

The deadline to register in time to vote in the 2022 general election was Oct. 14. Students who are not registered to vote can still do so now in order to be eligible for the 2023 elections. 

Mail-in ballots must be postmarked by Nov. 8 and received no later than Nov. 15. Students registered to vote in Erie County can also deliver absentee ballots in person to the local board of elections office at 134 West Eagle St. or at an Erie County poll site up until 9 p.m. on Nov. 8.

UB students registered with an address on North Campus will have access to on-demand shuttle service to vote in person at Sweet Home High School on Election Day.

Students may request pick-up from the Governors Complex, Lee Loop and the Ellicott Complex via the TransLoc app between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sweet Home High School will be the sole drop-off polling site this year, according to the university.

More information about absentee voting and on-campus Election Day resources can be found on the NYS BoE website and the university’s UB Votes page.

Students can also check their voter registration status and view a sample ballot at the Erie County BoE website.

Kyle Nguyen is a senior news/features editor and can be reached at kyle.nguyen@ubspectrum.com

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com

KYLE NGUYEN
IMG_7041.jpg

Kyle Nguyen is a senior news/features editor at The Spectrum.

DOMINICK MATARESE
dominick-matarese.jpg

Dominick Matarese is the Senior Features Editor at the Spectrum. He enjoys writing about interesting people, places, and things. In addition to running an independent blog, he has worked worked with the Owego Pennysaver, BROOME Magazine, the Fulcrum Newspaper, and Festisia. He is passionate about music journalism and can be found enjoying live music most weekends.