UB launches Western New York’s first long COVID-19 registry

UB and UBMD’s Physicians’ Group aim to advance data on what causes long COVID-19

UB researchers will use the data they collect to determine what factors contribute to the development of long COVID-19.

UB and UBMD’s Physicians’ Group have created a voluntary online registry for Western New York residents who are 18-years-old and older to report symptoms of long COVID-19, according to UB’s website. The data will be used  to better understand the short-term and long-term symptoms of COVID-19 and connect participants with treatment options in Western New York.

Those with long COVID-19 continue to experience one or more symptoms at least four weeks after being infected with COVID-19, according to the CDC

The registry is the only one of its kind in Western New York.  

Researchers will use the data they collect to determine what factors — including age, access to care and pre-existing health conditions — contribute to the development of long COVID-19.  

“The long COVID-19 registry gives people in our community who are suffering with long COVID-19 a chance to tell their story to researchers at UB so we can learn about this condition in Western New York, and possibly get these people the help that they need,” Kevin Gibbons, the executive director of UBMD Physicians’ Group, said.

The study asks participants about their experience with COVID-19, their pre- and post-COVID-19 lifestyles, vaccination history and more. The researchers plan to contact  participants periodically over the next three years to check on their COVID-19 symptoms and overall health over time.

Those interested in participating can sign up on the registry’s website

A.J. Franklin is an assistant features editor and can be reached at aj.franklin@ubspectrum.com