Students will not live on South Campus due to renovation

Goodyear and Clement Halls undergoing renovations during the 2022-23 academic year

<p>Students will not be living in South Campus' Goodyear and Clement Halls due to renovations.</p>

Students will not be living in South Campus' Goodyear and Clement Halls due to renovations.

Goodyear and Clement Halls will remain unoccupied during the 2022-23 academic year due to ongoing renovations. 

These renovation plans are part of Campus Living’s two-year master plan to revamp residence halls on both North and South Campus to upgrade dorms and change the campus’ overall appearance.

The project will “help provide our students with the modern facilities they need to be comfortable and successful at UB,” according to vice president for Student Life Brian Hamluk.

Goodyear Hall will undergo an exterior renovation, including a complete roof replacement to protect the structural integrity of the building. Clement Hall will be upgraded with new lighting, flooring and Wi-Fi. Both buildings are set to receive cosmetic upgrades.

All on-campus residents will remain in North Campus dorms and apartments during these renovations.

Campus Dining and Shops is also working on further methods to “improve the overall dining experience” on South Campus, according to a UB press release. Campus Living did not respond in time for publication to questions from The Spectrum regarding what those methods entail. 

Renovation will begin on North Campus residence halls after Goodyear and Clement are opened next summer.

North Campus renovations include the addition of an atrium, group spaces and interactive event rooms in Fargo Quad, along with a new front door for the Ellicott complex. The North Campus renovations are set to be completed by fall 2024. 

The entire project — encompassing renovations on both campuses — is estimated to cost approximately $36 million.

According to Hamluk, the financial devotion “illustrates an ongoing commitment to creating environments that allow our residential students to succeed both academically and personally.”

Kayla Estrada is a senior news/features editor and can be reached at kayla.estrada@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA ESTRADA
IMG_5050 (2).jpg

Kayla Estrada is the opinion editor at The Spectrum. She is an English major who enjoys rainy weather, “Bob’s Burgers” and asking people who they voted for. When she’s not writing, she can be found hunting for odd-looking knick-knacks at the nearest thrift store.