Softball goes 1-2 in weekend series against Central Michigan

The Bulls fall to seventh in the MAC with just six games remaining

Junior pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn hits the ball during a recent game against Miami (OH).

Softball (18-23, 9-13 MAC) went 1-2 in its crucial weekend series against Central Michigan (24-21, 15-8), the second-ranked team in the Mid-American Conference. 

The Bulls now rank seventh in the MAC and have a very slim chance of making it to the MAC Tournament, which only admits the top four teams.

In her return from a lower-body injury, junior pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn clutched the win in the first game as the Bulls defeated Central Michigan 7-5. Lucyshyn allowed 10 hits and recorded two strikeouts and four walks to improve her record in the circle to 9-7. 

Central Michigan tallied two runs in the first frame to grab an early 2-0 lead. UB answered in the top of the second inning with a run of their own to cut the deficit to one. The Bulls rallied in the third inning and scored four runs courtesy off a Lucyshyn grand slam.

Senior catcher Olivia Kincanon joined the home run club in the fifth to give Buffalo a 6-2 advantage. Central Michigan pulled within two runs in the seventh (7–5), but UB’s defense stayed clean to pull out the win.

Buffalo’s bats went silent in the first game of the Saturday doubleheader, as the Bulls got mercied 9-0 after five innings. Sophomore infielder Rachel Steffan and junior infielder Briana Castro had the only two hits of the game. Five Bulls struck out, and three committed defensive errors, which allowed two unearned runs to score. 

The Bulls took an early 2-0 lead in the second game of the doubleheader thanks to a double to left center from Lucyshyn with two runners on. The Chippewas responded with a crooked number to grab a 4-2 advantage in the second inning.

Buffalo’s offense couldn’t muster an attack as CMU put together a strong fifth inning to clutch a 9-2 lead. A solo homer from Castro in the sixth inning cut the deficit to six, but she would be the last runner to cross the plate for the Bulls.

Only two of the Chippewas’ nine runs were earned.

UB is at Nan Harvey Field for some midweek MACtion against Kent State Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at kayla.sterner@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA STERNER
IMG_7640.jpg

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. She is studying communications with the hopes of being a sideline reporter. In her spare time, she can be found in the gym, watching football or vibing to Mac Miller. Kayla is on Twitter @kaylasterner.