UB graduate programs rise in latest U.S. News rankings

University’s graduate programs continue upward swing

Some UB graduate programs moved up in the U.S. News and World Report rankings last week.

Over a dozen UB graduate schools and programs continued their upward trajectory in the latest rankings of America’s best graduate schools released by U.S. News and World Report last Tuesday.

UB’s School of Social Work, which remains among the nation’s top-25 social work programs, was among the highest risers, as it improved its ranking by four spots to No. 21 nationally. UB is ranked No. 10 in social work among all public universities.

“We are incredibly pleased our school rose to the prominent ranking of 21[st] among schools of social work in the U.S. Our deep commitment to students, research, community partners and alumni is a major part of our school’s success. We embrace an inclusive mindset which is reflected in all we do,” Keith Alford, dean of the School of Social Work, said in a press release.

The School of Public Health and Health Professions climbed 10 spots to No. 31 in the public health rankings. UB ranks No. 19 among public schools on the list.

UB’s Graduate School of Education climbed six spots to No. 53, which continues its four-year climb in the rankings.

UB’s full-time MBA program, offered through the School of Management, rose five spots to No. 72. Among public universities, UB’s MBA program is ranked No. 38 nationally. It is also among the top 10% of business schools accredited by AACSB International — a professional organization that provides accreditation to business schools nationally. 

“Our focus on creating outstanding learning experiences and providing quality career development while recruiting high-caliber students and top faculty is gaining recognition,” Paul Tesluk, dean of the UB School of Management, said. “It’s gratifying to see our success reflected in the upward trajectory of these rankings and in our global reputation.”

Other UB programs highlighted in the rankings included:

• The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, which ranked No. 62 among all universities and No. 35 among public universities.
  • The School of Law, which remained among the top 100 programs in the nation and rose four spots from last year to No. 94.
  • The School of Nursing’s doctoral program, which ranked No. 52 in the country and No. 39 among public universities.
  • The Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, which rose one spot to No. 90 among primary care programs and seven spots to No. 74 in medical research.

Every year, U.S. News & World Report ranks graduate school programs in business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing, as well as concentrations within each area.

The rankings of America’s Best Graduate Schools from U.S. News & World Report are based on expert opinions on program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research and students.

Data for the rankings in all six disciplines came from statistical surveys of more than 2,150 programs and reputation surveys sent to more than 23,200 academics and professionals in fall 2021 and early 2022.

Kyle Nguyen is an assistant news/features editor and can be reached at kyle.nguyen@ubspectrum.com

KYLE NGUYEN
IMG_7041.jpg

Kyle Nguyen is a senior news/features editor at The Spectrum.