The independent student publication of The Unversity at Buffalo, since 1950

Mask mandate remains on public transportation in New York State

The state mandate comes a day after a similar federal mandate was struck down in court

<p>Masks will be required on all UB buses and shuttles following a mandate from Gov. Hochul Wednesday.</p>

Masks will be required on all UB buses and shuttles following a mandate from Gov. Hochul Wednesday.

Masks will continue to be required on buses, trains and other forms of public transportation in New York State “for now,” Gov. Kathy Hochul announced at a press conference in Syracuse Wednesday. 

“Let’s just be smart about it,” Hochul said. “I think people do feel better when they’re in public transit, sitting really close to somebody, to know that people are protecting themselves.”

The statewide mandate comes just a day after a federal judge struck down a similar requirement from the Biden administration on Tuesday , according to The Wall Street Journal. The federal mask mandate, which required travelers to wear masks on trains, buses, airplanes and other forms of mass transit, had been in effect since Feb. 1. 

Masks will be required on university buses and shuttles in accordance with Gov. Hochul and the CDC’s guidance, university spokesperson John DellaContrada said. 

UB’s Health and Safety Committee was previously going to discuss the continuation of the mask mandate on university-operated public transportation, DellaContrada told The Spectrum Tuesday, a day before Gov. Hochul’s announcement. 

The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, which operates Buffalo’s metro line, the local bus system and other public transportation in Erie and Niagara counties, suspended its mask mandate Tuesday only to reinstate it Wednesday to comply with the governor’s order, according to The Buffalo News

New York’s mask mandate will also extend to airports, state-regulated healthcare facilities, state-regulated nursing homes, houseless shelters, domestic violence shelters and correctional facilities. 

UB has an estimated 101 cases of COVID-19 and a 2.11% positivity-rate based on a 14-day rolling average as of Friday, according to SUNY’s COVID-19 dashboard

Grant Ashley is a senior news/features editor and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Spectrum has been covering the University at Buffalo since 1950, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

GRANT ASHLEY
Studio Session-060.jpg

Grant Ashley is a senior news/features editor at The Spectrum. He is a political science and (mediocre) Spanish double major. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on Twitter @Grantrashley.