Yik Yak provides insight to UB after dark

Late-night Yik Yak posts reflect another aspect of campus culture

<p>&nbsp;“Yik Yak” is a popular app on college campuses that allows users to post anonymously to a message board.&nbsp;</p>

“Yik Yak” is a popular app on college campuses that allows users to post anonymously to a message board. 

“Quiet hours” are implemented in UB dorms on weekdays after 11 p.m. to promote healthy sleeping habits and ensure the comfort of all students. 

But the nocturnal tendencies of college students are revealed in late-night “Yik Yak” posts that prove UB’s campus remains busy and bustling after dark. 

“Yik Yak” is an app that allows users to post anonymously to a message board. Other users within a five-mile radius can then upvote or downvote these posts — impacting the popularity and promotion of the message. Users can also comment on other messages, which can also be upvoted or downvoted. The app is popular on college campuses across the nation, including UB. 

The Spectrum compiled a list of funny messages posted on Yik Yak after 1 a.m. and within the last week:

1. “Monsters university gave me an unrealistic impression of what UB was gonna be like…and I don’t even go here”
  2. “Anyone know what Obama’s last name is? Ben tryna figure it out for a min”
  3. “You ever j be up late asl thinkin ‘dam I’d be a sick actor’”
  4. “We need to collect everyones gross, smelly, dirty and annoying roommates and just room them together let them live in their filth together.”
  5. “Honestly I chose UB cause the campus is so ugly. So by logic I look hotter when I walk through it.”
  6. “petition for the elli to start selling claws”
  7. “Just saw Victor E. Bull 360 no scope a small child”
  8. “professors be like ‘i know these are troubling times’ and then be the troubling times”
  9. “The Moes line can turn a good man into a feral beast with how slow it moves”
  10. “Where is the best place to live on campus?’
    1. “Off campus”
    2. “Off campus”
    3. “Off campus”
    4. “Off campus”
    5. “Off campus”
    6. “Off campus”
    7. “Off campus”
    8. “not gov’s that's for sure”
  11. “Buffalo is putting its whole bufu–y into these weather changes.”
  12. “how do u tell someone their breath stinks? like i’m bored lol let’s go use mouthwash”
  13. “UB really grading me on my ability to submit my homework as a PDF’
  14. “Mandate getting lifted, let’s see who’s been maskfishing”
  15. “I am simply too sexy and funny and hot to be faced with any challenges”

Kayla Estrada is an assistant news/features editor and can be reached at kayla.estrada@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA ESTRADA
IMG_5050 (2).jpg

Kayla Estrada is the opinion editor at The Spectrum. She is an English major who enjoys rainy weather, “Bob’s Burgers” and asking people who they voted for. When she’s not writing, she can be found hunting for odd-looking knick-knacks at the nearest thrift store.