Spectrum recommends: upcoming events

Sporting events, concerts and nature excursions worth taking advantage of

March.

The month of daylight savings and college basketball, women’s history and St. Patrick’s.

As the weather gets warmer and the semester ramps up, it’s more important than ever to leave the classroom and enjoy everything the Queen City has to offer. Lucky for you, the staff of The Spectrum has compiled a list of things you can do over the coming weeks:

Buffalo Bisons games

For so many people, baseball is a cathartic escape from life’s stresses. This year, Major League Baseball is mired in a months-long lockout, which will undoubtedly result in a delayed start to the season. But Minor League Baseball promises to bring the same family-friendly action as it always does. The best part? The Buffalo Bisons — the Triple-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays — open their season in less than two months, on April 5.

• Justin Weiss

Hasan Minhaj 

Hasan Minhaj is an American-Indian comedian, writer, producer, political commentator and television host. After working as a stand-up comedian, he made his TV debut as a senior correspondent on “The Daily Show.” Minhaj later partnered with Netflix to release his first stand-up special, “Homecoming King” and create the Peabody Award-winning series “Patriot Act.” Back with another one-man show, “The King’s Jester,” Minhaj will convey his experience with global success to a Buffalo audience on Friday, March 4.

• Sabrina Akter-Nabi 

Hippo Campus concert

Minnesota-born indie powerhouse Hippo Campus will play songs from their new album, LP3, at Town Ballroom on Tuesday, March 8. A driving force behind today’s independent music scene, Hippo Campus is sure to leave a lasting impression on your hippocampus. If you miss the concert, don’t worry! The Spectrum will be covering it.

• Moaz Elazzazi

Buffalo Sabres games

If the Bills are Buffalo’s favorite sports team, the Sabres are the scrappy underdogs. But despite their less-than-stellar record, Sabres games can be just as fun. Hockey is one of the easiest sports to learn the basics of: two nets, one puck and six players on each side. Tickets for upcoming games start as low as $15. With direct transportation from South Campus to KeyBank Center via the metro, there’s no better way to spend an otherwise boring night.

• Julie Frey

Karaoke Night at Mr. Goodbar 

Located in the heart of Elmwood Village, Mr. Goodbar is always an experience. Hosting various live concerts, comedy nights and trivia events each month, Goodbar is the kind of bar where sweatpants are acceptable attire, which makes it the perfect environment for bad karaoke. Leave your inhibitions at the door each Wednesday night and let the warm atmosphere and cheap drinks coax you onto the stage, where you’ll have the opportunity to choose from thousands of songs, from Cardi B’s “WAP” to The Temptations’ “My Girl.” But don’t forget to secure your spot in the lineup by requesting your song online

• Reilly Mullen

Mid-American Conference basketball tournament

UB’s men’s and the women’s basketball teams will both travel to Cleveland from March 10-12 to compete in the MAC Tournament. The women’s team — which won the MAC Championship back in 2019 — has secured the second seed with high hopes to take home some hardware. The men have gone to the MAC Tournament six times since 2015 and won it in 2018 and 2019. Seedings and game times are still to be determined, but the games will be streamed on ESPN+.

• Kayla Sterner

‘Boulet Brothers’ Dragula’ World Tour 

Drag, filth, horror and glamor are coming to Buffalo. Following the release of season four of their hit horror-themed drag reality TV competition, Dragula, The Boutlet Brothers and season four’s top four “dragmonsters” will perform at Buffalo Ironworks on May 20 as part of The Boulet Brothers’ “Dragula World Tour.” Featuring the ghastliest looks and gruesomest performances drag has to offer, the Boutlet Brothers’ troupe is sure to linger in Buffalonians nightmares for weeks to come. Eat your heart out, RuPaul. 

• Grant Ashley

Taylor Swift night (Rec Room)

Screaming my heart out to the “this is me trying” bridge is my passion, and it should be yours too. Rec Room’s Taylor Swift Night on Dec. 17 was the much-needed post-finals treat of up-tempo beats and heart-wrenching melodies, and the insane sell-out is once again bringing blondie back with a vengeance on April 1 to Rec Room’s doors. 

• Sophie McNally

March Madness at KeyBank Center

For the first time since 2017, March Madness will return to Buffalo. Buffalonians can experience the atmosphere of “The Big Dance” at KeyBank Center for the first and second round games on Thursday, March 17 and Saturday, March 19. With three games each day, fans have the option of purchasing individual game, day or session passes. While we don’t know which teams will be playing in Buffalo just yet, basketball fans shouldn’t miss out on the chance to see college basketball’s elite compete for the ultimate prize. Local teams such as UB and St. Bonaventure have a legitimate chance of making the tournament, so fans could have the opportunity to see their favorite teams play on the biggest stage.

• Anthony DeCicco

SUNY Clash

College students like to party. Luckily, all SUNY students can hitch a ride on the free shuttle to The Rapids Theatre in Niagara Falls on Saturday, March 5 for the SUNY Clash. With local musical artists, bottle service (21+), an onsite food truck and 1,500+ students from 16 colleges/universities, Saturday night will certainly be a night to remember. Tickets can be found on the SUNY Clash’s website or at the door.

• Jenna Quinn

NYS Parks and Recreation Nature Events

A few weeks of gloomy Western New York skies certainly makes going through each day a little harder. Luckily, New York State Parks and Recreation offers a host of events for you to look forward to as the sun creeps out. If you enjoy the cold, Evangola State Park offers a guided cross-country ski experience on Friday, March 4. Spots are limited, as those new to the sport will have access to free equipment. Have you ever wanted the chance to see birds like raptors, blackbirds and waterfowl? On Wednesday, March 16, Woodlawn Beach State Park will offer a bird-watching event called “I Bird NY.” Lastly, visitors can watch the seasons change to Spring with Joseph Davis State Park’s vernal pools exploration event on Saturday, April 2. 

• Jack Porcari