Softball goes 1-1 in Bluegrass Classic

Bulls improve to 8-8, their best start under head coach Mike Ruechel

UB softball went 1-1 in the Bluegrass Classic in Lexington, KY over the weekend.

The Bulls split their doubleheader this weekend in the Bluegrass Classic hosted by the University of Kentucky to improve their season record to 8-8.

UB (8-8) lost its first game of the trip to the nation’s 12th-ranked team, Kentucky (18-2), 7-0, on Friday morning in Lexington, KY. Junior pitcher Alexis Lucyshyn struck out four Wildcats while seven Bulls struck out. 

A single courtesy of sophomore infielder Madison Ferminen in the top of the second and a single in the top of the third from sophomore outfielder Sara Kelly were the only hits of the game for UB.

Buffalo was able to hold Kentucky scoreless through three innings until a run crossed home plate in the fourth. After letting in six runs in the bottom of the fifth, the Bulls were not able to recover and rally from behind. 

UB found its groove in a 5-4 victory over Eastern Kentucky (3-17). Sophomore pitcher Julia Tarantino snagged the win from the circle with two strikeouts and two walks. Lucyshyn came in to pitch to the last three batters, striking out one.

Graduate utility player Anna Aguon, Ferminen, senior outfielder Alexis Matheney and sophomore infielder Rachel Steffan each stole a base in the winning effort. Matheney was responsible for all three of the Bulls’ runs-batted in. 

Buffalo put up a crooked number in the bottom of the first thanks to Ferniman and Steffan, the latter of whom stole home, to boast a 2-0 advantage. EKU notched a solo homer in the second, but good at-bats led to bases loaded for UB in the bottom of the inning and a 3-1 after Kelly scored on a wild pitch. 

Eastern Kentucky plated another run in the third to cut the deficit to one, but Buffalo scored two runs in the fifth thanks to a single from Matheney to take a 5-2 lead. EKU scored two unearned runs in the sixth inning to narrow the gap to 5-4, but the Bulls were able to stay collected and pull out the win.

Sunday’s games against Kentucky and Valparaiso were canceled due to unplayable fields and freezing weather.

The Bulls will hit the dirt again this weekend with a three-game series against Ohio University to kick off Mid-American Conference play. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. Friday.

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at kayla.sterner@ubspectrum.com  

KAYLA STERNER
IMG_7640.jpg

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. She is studying communications with the hopes of being a sideline reporter. In her spare time, she can be found in the gym, watching football or vibing to Mac Miller. Kayla is on Twitter @kaylasterner.