‘True Blue’ aims to build a strong community

New initiative invites students and faculty to demonstrate their school pride

<p>UB has launched a new initiative called “True Blue,” which is intended to highlight the students, faculty, staff and alumni who make up the university community.</p>

UB has launched a new initiative called “True Blue,” which is intended to highlight the students, faculty, staff and alumni who make up the university community.

Victor E. Bull is the ultimate characterization of school pride. But he isn’t the only cheerleader on campus.

University Communications and the True Blue student cheering section have collaborated on a new initiative called “True Blue,” which aims to create a long-term sense of community at UB.

“We see it at games, of course, but we also see pride in UB being expressed all over campus and on social media,” Devon Jerla, marketing manager for University Communications, said in a press release. “There’s a strong sense of camaraderie at UB and an eagerness to show it both internally and externally. And we are excited to amplify that because it’s so positive and so powerful.”

The club’s website, buffalo.edu/trueblue, acts as a center for showcasing different aspects of life and school pride. The site provides a variety of photo galleries, student experiences and pictures of students, faculty and staff adorned in UB’s signature blue and white. This hub for collectiveness provides students with an opportunity to take part in the “True Blue” community. 

“The overall objective of True Blue is to build on the pride people have for the university, and to give students, faculty, staff and alumni a collective way to express that pride,” UB spokesperson John DellaContrada said. “We see this as a long-term effort to create a stronger sense of belonging among the UB community, which we believe is something many people want to share in.”

UB Athletics, Student Life, University Advancement and other university administrative units are also collaborating with True Blue and University Communications to encourage students to join this inclusive initiative.

“The progress made in the last 45 years is truly amazing,” Jim Atwood, SUNY distinguished teaching professor in the Department of Chemistry, said. “The friendliness and diversity are wonderful.” 

Ethan Tong, a sophomore biomedical sciences major and member of the True Blue student club, says he enjoys the welcoming environment and inclusive conditions that his membership with True Blue provide. 

“The best part, besides cheering on our amazing sports teams, is meeting different people,” Tong said in the press release. “It truly is the diversity of people at UB that makes it great.”

Kayla Estrada is an assistant news/features editor and can be reached at kayla.estrada@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA ESTRADA
IMG_5050 (2).jpg

Kayla Estrada is the opinion editor at The Spectrum. She is an English major who enjoys rainy weather, “Bob’s Burgers” and asking people who they voted for. When she’s not writing, she can be found hunting for odd-looking knick-knacks at the nearest thrift store.