Men’s basketball defeats Rider 87-65

Jeenathan Williams, Maceo Jack dominate on offense in the Bulls’ home opener

Redshirt senior guard Jamon Bivens dunks before a recent game. The Bulls defeated Rider 87-65 in their home opener Saturday afternoon.

Men’s basketball (2-1) defeated the Rider University Broncos (2-3), 87-65, Saturday afternoon in the Bulls’ home opener at Alumni Arena. This game was the first of the Cancun Challenge, a three-game tournament that will conclude in Mexico. 

Senior forward Jeenathan Williams led the charge for the Bulls with 19 points, seven boards and two assists. Senior guard Maceo Jack continued his hot shooting streak with 18 points while shooting 3-of-5 from the three-point arc. UB earned its biggest lead of the half with 3:51 left to go after going on a 10-2 run. The Bulls advanced to a 39-33 halftime lead.

With 8:41 left to play, the Bulls went on a 16-0 run, highlighted by back-to-back three-pointers from redshirt sophomore center David Skogman to secure a 28-point lead. After a triple by junior guard Ty Perry, UB held its longest lead of the night, 87-58. 

On defense, the Bulls allowed Rider to only 31% shooting from the field in the second half. Buffalo out-rebounded the Broncos 52-38 and pushed the ball in transition with 16 fast break points, compared to Rider’s four. 

UB’s season-high 87 points was in part due to a hot 40.6% three-point performance, and the bench managed 29 points.

Senior forward Josh Mballa added eight points, seven rebounds and three steals. 

To round out the “Big Three,” senior guard Ronaldo Segu scored nine points, including back-to-back threes in the final minutes of the first half. The Orlando native also dished five assists and grabbed a pair of rebounds in the winning effort. 

The Bulls will tip off again on Tuesday against Stephen F. Austin at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in Mexico. The game begins at 6 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA STERNER
IMG_7640.jpg

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. She is studying communications with the hopes of being a sideline reporter. In her spare time, she can be found in the gym, watching football or vibing to Mac Miller. Kayla is on Twitter @kaylasterner.