Allison Brashear named Jacobs School dean

Brashear also becomes the new vice president for health sciences at UB

Allison Brashear, dean of the UC Davis School of Medicine, has been named vice president for health sciences at UB.

Allison Brashear has been appointed dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and vice president for health sciences at UB, the university announced Monday. The appointment will take effect on Dec. 6.

Brashear, dean of the UC Davis School of Medicine, will succeed Michael Cain, who announced in April that he would be resigning from both positions, while remaining a professor in the Department of Medicine and the Department of Biomedical Engineering.

“I am delighted that a physician, researcher and academic leader of Dr. Brashear’s international renown is joining our university community in these critical leadership roles,” UB President Satish Tripathi said in a statement. “As the responsibilities of these positions have profound implications for both our university’s mission of excellence and the health and vitality of our region, it was imperative that we found a visionary leader whose work reflects a demonstrated and enduring commitment to serving the greater good.”

During her time at UC Davis, Brashear helped one of the nation’s top medical schools secure a record $368 million award and double its clinical trial awards. She will now be tasked with leading research and clinical programs in all Health Sciences schools and programs, along with hospital and clinical affiliates, as VP for health sciences.

Brashear has been the recipient of continuous funding from the National Institutes of Health since 2008, in support of her work on ATP1A3-related diseases, a group of ailments that inhibit motor skills and make daily activities difficult to accomplish.

Brashear is highly-regarded for her work on diversity efforts, especially when it comes to the advancement of women in medicine.

“I am excited to join the University at Buffalo as the new vice president for health sciences and dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at such a pivotal time in medicine,” Brashear said. “This is a unique opportunity to help advance President Tripathi’s vision for UB to be a top-25 public research university to improve lives.”

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com