Saturday, October 23, 2021
The independent student publication of The Unversity at Buffalo, since 1950

UB will require proof of vaccination to attend sporting and arts events

Spectators must provide proof of at least one dose by Oct. 1 and proof of a completed vaccination series by Oct. 30 to attend UB events

A recorded 16,739 spectators watched UB fall 28-25 to Coastal Carolina Saturday.

Starting Oct. 1, all spectators must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend sporting events at UB Stadium and Alumni Arena.

The new rule also applies to concerts and arts events at Slee Hall, the Center for the Arts and Alumni Arena. The list includes the Distinguished Speakers Series and the commencement celebration honoring the class of 2020.

“We feel this is in the community’s best interest,” Vice President for Health Sciences and Dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biochemical Sciences Michael E. Cain said in a press release. “COVID-19 cases in the region have continued to climb. We want to be proactive and make sure we are doing our part to prevent further spread of the virus.”

Attendees must provide proof of at least one dose of the vaccine starting Oct. 1. UB says a vaccination card, a photo of a vaccination card, an Excelsior Pass or a digital vaccine card are all valid forms of vaccination.

In addition to providing proof of at least one dose by Oct. 1, spectators must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 30 to attend sporting and arts events for the 2021-22 school year.

Masks will still be required at all times in indoor settings, but won’t be required when vaccinated spectators are outdoors at UB Stadium. 

Children under 12 who are not vaccinated will still be granted admission to UB events but must wear a mask at both indoor and outdoor venues.

As of Monday, 99% of UB students are vaccinated against COVID-19.

Anthony DeCicco is the senior sports editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and @DeCicco42 on Twitter

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Spectrum has been covering the University at Buffalo since 1950, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

ANTHONY DECICCO
Studio Session-018 (1).jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the senior sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found playing video games, watching ‘90s Knicks games and arguing with people on NBA Twitter at 3 a.m.