Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Students will be quarantined in Clement Hall starting in October

South Campus dormitory will host quarantined students after serving as unvaccinated housing

Students who live on campus and test positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined in South Campus’ Clement Hall, beginning in October.

Starting in October, students who live on campus and test positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined in South Campus’ Clement Hall. 

This comes as students who were unable to receive one of the three FDA-approved vaccines, or complete a World Health Organization vaccine series abroad, leave Clement Hall by the end of the month.

“Once the students living in Clement Hall finish their vaccination series [they will no longer need to be housed in Clement Hall],” Jessica Kane, assistant director for communications and marketing initiatives for Campus Living, said. “We anticipate this being by the end of September. After that, Clement Hall will be used to house students needing to quarantine.”

Unvaccinated students have been living in Clement Hall since the beginning of the semester, as they wait to either complete their vaccine series or receive their first dose. After students receive their second dose of the vaccine series or their single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, they are able to move into their permanent on-campus housing, according to UB officials.

Students who require quarantine housing are currently living in Flickinger Court, but Clement Hall has more capacity, according to the UB Facilities website. As of Sep. 21, UB has 96 positive COVID-19 cases with 30 students currently being quarantined with at least 24 additional spaces available according to Kane.

“We are planning to use Clement Hall to house students needing to quarantine,” Kane said. “While we could take measures to use the facility for both unvaccinated individuals, and those needing quarantine, in consultation with the Environment, Health & Safety Office, we do not plan to use Clement Hall until unvaccinated students are completely vaccinated and move to their permanent assignment.”

As of Sept. 17, only 20 students remained in Clement Hall awaiting the completion of their vaccine series. Students who have finished their vaccine series are moved out of Clement Hall without waiting two weeks for full immunity.

JULIE FREY
Studio Session-058 (1).jpg

Julie Frey is a senior news/features editor at The Spectrum. She is a political science and environmental studies double major. She enjoys theorizing about Taylor Swift, the color yellow and reading books that make her cry. She can be found on Twitter @juliannefrey.