Jaret Patterson makes Washington Football Team’s 53-man roster

Former UB star running back makes his hometown team

Jaret Patterson had a historic 2020 season with the Bulls, as he led the nation in rushing yards per game, at 178.

Final roster cuts sometimes mark the end of a player’s professional journey.

But for former UB star running back Jaret Patterson, the Washington Football Team’s announcement Tuesday that he made the team’s 53-man roster is just another step in his unusual odyssey.

Patterson made the team Tuesday following the release of running back Peyton Barber, which left Antonio Gibson, J.D. McKissic and Patterson as the only active running backs on the roster. 

Washington was impressed by Patterson’s display of elusiveness and agility during the preseason. In three games, the diminutive runner had 28 carries for 110 yards and a touchdown. He was also featured in the passing game, something he rarely contributed to at Buffalo.

“I thought it was solid,” Washington head coach Ron Rivera said after Patterson’s performance against the Bengals Aug. 20. “I really did. He’s an explosive, dynamic young back. We gave him some opportunities early on with the first bunch, and he did a nice job with that. And then when the second bunch was in there, 2s on 2s, I really thought he showed his ability.”

The Glendale, MD native had a historic 2020 season with the Bulls, as he led the nation in rushing yards per game, at 178. He also tied an FBS record with 409 rushing yards and found the end zone eight times in a 70-41 win over Kent State.

Patterson has drawn praise from Ron Rivera and his teammates, who have labeled him as “electric.” Although Gibson and McKissic will likely handle the major roles in the backfield, Patterson’s NFL dream has begun and he now has a chance to make an immediate impact on special teams, as a kick returner or a gunner.  

Patterson and the Washington Football Team will travel to Buffalo on Sept. 26 for a Week 3 matchup against the Bills at Highmark Stadium. 

Hunter Skoczylas is the assistant sports editor and can be reached at hunter.skoczylas@ubspectrum.com or on Twitter @HunterSkoczylas

HUNTER SKOCZYLAS

Hunter Skoczylas is the sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found looking up random sports statistics, jamming to Fleetwood Mac and dedicating his Sunday afternoons to watching the Buffalo Bills.