Student Union testing site left unlocked over the weekend

Room 145 was left open, with COVID-19 tests and PPE inside

Student Union Room 145 was found unlocked due to a "mechanical problem" on Sunday evening.

A door to Room 145 in the Student Union — one of UB’s on-campus COVID-19 testing sites — was left unlocked over the weekend, giving visitors unrestrained access to roughly 3,200 COVID-19 tests and valuable PPE.

UB spokesperson John DellaContrada says he “doesn’t know” who worked in the testing facility on Friday, but he noted that the door’s locking mechanism was broken, which may have led to the room being unbolted.

“It’s a mechanical problem, not human error,” DellaContrada said in a statement Sunday evening.

The facility was reported secure on Sunday at 9:12 p.m., according to DellaContrada.

The Student Union is locked to people on the outside on weekends after 8 p.m., at which time staff members leave the premises. A University Police officer arrived on Sunday evening to secure the testing site.

The testing facility contains roughly 16 boxes holding 200 Clarifi COVID-19 tests each. It also has various PPE items and other related valuables. Other details remain unclear at the time of publication.

This is a developing story.

Dan Eastman is the assistant managing editor and can be reached at danielson.eastman@ubspectrum.com 

DAN EASTMAN
Studio Session-050 (2) (1).jpg

Dan Eastman is the assistant managing editor at The Spectrum. He is a senior geography major who loves Starbucks iced americano. When he isn’t writing and editing he is trying to find the best donut and cookie shops in Buffalo. He can be found on Twitter @TheEastMan2000.