UB football game against Ohio canceled

Saturday’s contest against Ohio will be declared a no-contest after positive COVID tests within the Bobcats program

<p>The Bulls line up against the Ohio Bobcats during the homecoming game Saturday.</p>

The Bulls line up against the Ohio Bobcats during the homecoming game Saturday.

Friday afternoon, UB athletics announced Saturday’s football game against Ohio has been canceled due to positive COVID tests and subsequent contract tracing within the Bobcats program.

The game will be declared a no-contest and is the second game Ohio has canceled this season due to COVID complications. 

UB, looking to continue its undefeated season, will have to wait until Dec. 12 to hit the field again.

“While we are disappointed our game at Ohio has been canceled, the health and safety of our student-athletes continues to be our top priority,” head coach Lance Leipold said. “I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes, coaches and staff. They have done everything the right way during these difficult times. In fact, we didn't have a single positive case this week. We were looking forward to playing Ohio, but we will now shift our attention to our next opponent, Akron.”

After back-to-back record-breaking performances, UB fans won’t be able to see Heisman hopeful Jaret Patterson take the field this week.

The Bulls’ next scheduled game is Dec. 12 against Akron at UB Stadium.

Anthony DeCicco is the Senior Sports Editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @DeCicco42 

ANTHONY DECICCO
Studio Session-018 (1).jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the Editor-in-Chief of The Spectrum. His words have appeared in outlets such as SLAM Magazine andSyracuse.com. In 2020, he was awarded First Prize for Sports Column Writing at the Society of Professional Journalists' Region 1 Mark of Excellence Awards. In his free time, he can be found watching ‘90s Knicks games and reading NFL Mock Drafts at 3 a.m.