UB football clinches MAC East for second time in three seasons

Bulls heading to MAC Championship game Dec. 18 in Detroit

<p>Junior defensive end Eric Black (94) and graduate linebacker Tyree Thompson (27) celebrate after making a defensive stop.</p>

Junior defensive end Eric Black (94) and graduate linebacker Tyree Thompson (27) celebrate after making a defensive stop.

Wednesday afternoon, the Mid-American Conference announced the UB football team has officially clinched the MAC East division title. 

The Bulls will play in the MAC Championship Game on Friday, Dec. 18 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI. The contest will be aired on ESPN at 7:30 p.m. 

Despite the Bulls being the only undefeated team in the MAC, the conference could not declare UB the MAC East Champions prior to Wednesday due to potential scenarios surrounding the recent cancellations of games. 

As a result, UB will face the winner of the Western Michigan vs. Ball State game, scheduled for noon on Saturday, Dec. 12. 

After losing to Northern Illinois in 2018, the Bulls have the opportunity to take home the MAC Championship for the first time since 2008. 

UB is 4-0 this season and ranked 24th nationally in the latest Associated Press poll. 

The regular season will conclude after UB faces Akron on Saturday, Dec. 12 at UB Stadium at 2:30 p.m. The game will air on CBS Sports. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com

HUNTER SKOCZYLAS

Hunter Skoczylas is the sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found looking up random sports statistics, jamming to Fleetwood Mac and dedicating his Sunday afternoons to watching the Buffalo Bills.