How I decorated for Hanukkah

Spoiler: Target has everything you need

Hanukkah is coming to an end, but the festivities are still in full swing; lights are being lit, chocolate is being eaten and songs are being sung. 

It’s strange being a Jew in December. One of our most known and celebrated holidays usually falls around the same time as Christmas and it can feel a little isolating. The Christmas sections in stores are huge and filled to the brim with all sorts of items. I feel lucky if I find so much as a single table full of Hanukkah decorations. 

Being away from family this year, I wanted to decorate a little extra to add some holiday warmth to my life. Here’s how I used Target to bring the Hanukkah cheer into my home. It’s not too early to start planning for next year. And yes, they had one small table of Hanukkah items. 

The lights

Image from iOS (5).jpg

The string lights might all be in the Christmas section, but that doesn’t mean they can only be used for Christmas. After all, Hanukkah is the festival of lights. I purchased blue and white string lights and wrapped them around each other to hang above the window in my apartment. This way, I was able to have the festive string lights I see on decorated Christmas homes while still giving off Hanukkah vibes. The white lights twinkle, so it’s a pretty effect. 

The table runner

I was pretty excited when I saw this since all I’m used to having on Hanukkah is my menorah and some dreidels. Finally, something else to decorate with. I didn’t even care if it would fit my table or not (though it luckily did). This table runner is pretty cute and immediately turned my dining table into a Hanukkah table. 

The Hanukkah cat mug

This mug is a masterpiece. Cats and Hanukkah? It was definitely made for me. I happen to have five cats, so this mug is “purr-fect.” Plus, it’s adorable, and you can even get it with dogs if you’re not much of a cat person. I’ll be drinking from my Hanukkah mug throughout the entirety of December. This would make a great gift for someone, too. 

The mitzvah moose 

Image from iOS (6).jpg

Yes, this is a little silly. And yes, it is probably intended for a child — okay, definitely intended for a child. But how could I say no to a Mitzvah Moose? In Judaism, doing a mitzvah means doing a good deed, so the Mitzvah Moose is an excellent reminder to do something for others this holiday season. The adorable stuffed animal comes with its own storybook, and each light on its antlers can be lit individually for every night of Hanukkah. I’m obsessed. 

Serving dishes

Image from iOS (4).jpg

Target also had various serving dishes available. Here’s the one I chose. It’s minimal, elegant and perfect for serving Hanukkah treats, from latkes to sufganiyot. If I can just figure out how to replicate my mom’s latkes, I’ll have the perfect plate to eat them off of! 

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com