10 podcasts to keep you interested this winter break

With extra time on their hands, students can turn to podcasts over break

From Barstool's Call Her Daddy to the Daily Show's Ears Edition, a look at some of the top podcasts on the internet.

Podcasts have become a useful source of media and entertainment for people who are constantly on the move. 

They can also benefit people who just want to lounge all day and crave something new and interesting to listen to. 

With the semester almost finished, students have nothing else to do but sit in the house and complete home tasks. Podcasts are the perfect way to be entertained while still being productive. 

Here are some of the most interesting podcasts on the internet:

10. Call Her Daddy - Alex Cooper

Although this podcast has gone through its fair share of drama over the past year, it is still an enjoyable listen, especially if you choose to start from the beginning. Call Her Daddy has no boundaries and nothing to hide as the hosts cover topics from sexual experiences to embarrassing moments. Some see this podcast as too much, as 20-year-old women are talking freely about their bodies and sex, that’s what makes the podcast so great: woman being confident and comfortable in their bodies, and showing other young women they can do the same.

9. The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: Ears Edition - Trevor Noah

For those who love the news, but find cable news too boring, this podcast is a treat. Trevor Noah, host of “The Daily Show” on Comedy Central, is known for delivering news with his quick wit and excellent comedic timing, which makes the news truly enjoyable. This podcast is an extension of Noah’s TV show, but for those who don’t care to watch TV, this is the perfect thing to listen to: some episodes clock-in at just nine minutes. 

8. The Sporkful - Dan Pashman

For those who love to eat, this is the podcast for you. Dan Pashman does everything food-related in these episodes, sometimes interviewing professional chefs and other times contemplating what the best ways to eat certain foods are. It’s exciting for those who love food, but make sure you have a snack on hand because you’ll definitely want a bite to eat afterward.

7. Ologies with Alie Ward - Alie Ward

The concept of this podcast is so interesting, it needed to be added to this list. This podcast goes through all sorts of sciences, from biological anthropology to forest entomology to fulminology. Alie Ward interviews professionals in these odd fields and parses through how they found their weirdly specific passions. Listeners get to learn something new every week, which is refreshing.

6. Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People - Chris Gethard

This podcast is something to listen to with an open heart and an open mind. The premise is simple: an anonymous listener calls in and talks to Chris Gerthard for an hour, the length of each episode. Gerthard, a comedian from Queens, is a respectful and talented listener. Although the stories can sometimes have a serious undertone, Gerthard’s sense of humor allows for some light moments as well. One of the most notable episodes, episode 132 titled “I Survived A Mass Shooting,” came when a mass shooting victim recalled her experience to listeners. The best part about Gethard’s show is that you have no idea what these people look like, nor do you get their names, leaving it a mystery.

5. Everything is Alive 

In Everything is Alive, every episode features an interview with an actor who pretends to be an inanimate object. Following the title, actors are challenged to become an inanimate object and supplement that with real-life emotions. The episodes are around 20-minutes-long, so for those with shorter attention spans, it is the perfect length. Notable objects actors have emulated in the past have been a pregnancy test, a pane of glass and a grain of sand. 

4. Food 4 Thot - Tommy Pico, Fran Tirado, Dennis Norris II and Joe Osmundson

A podcast named after food, but that has nothing to do with food at all. Although that might be a reason not to listen for some, it is one of the most genuine and original shows out there. Four hosts, all multiracial and queer writers, cover all sorts of topics, from sexual relationships to just surviving in the world. The themes of these podcasts are thoughtful and sweet as each episode revolves around listeners being comfortable with who they are. Sex isn’t the only topic discussed, as the hosts also talk politics and so much more.

3. No Feeling is Final - Honor Eastly

This podcast, by a self-described “professional feeler of feelings,” provides a window into mental health and how it affects a person. Everyone deals with their mental health in a different way, and with this podcast you get a direct look into Honor Eastly’s brain and mental state. Her personality and sense of humor allows listeners to take in her problems in a lighthearted way, yet still hear how anxiety and depression play a role in her day to day life.

2. RedHanded - Suruthi Bala and Hannah Maguire

This is easily one of the best true crime podcasts out there. These two women have a great back-and-forth and have real chemistry. Each podcast features the pair going through a case, but unlike other true crime podcasts that only focus on serial killers, they cover supernatural crimes as well, including hauntings and possessions. These two have a great sense of humor, yet they also prove they are fully researched and know every case in detail. And they’re British, and what’s better than that?

1. Oddvice - Kristen McAtee and Alex Koot

This show only started in August, but is already a warm and engaging podcast if you want to feel like you are hanging out with your girlfriends. The show has a fresh concept as Kristen McAtee and Alex Koot post two podcasts a week, the first one introducing a topic and their experiences, and a following one where they give advice to specific listeners problems. This podcast makes you feel like you have sisters who are helping you navigate through life.

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com