Tuesday, January 19, 2021
The independent student publication of The Unversity at Buffalo, since 1950

UB men’s basketball to face Towson and Army in “Bubbleville”

Towson and Army replace Vermont and Iona

<p>Men's basketball stands on the court at Alumni during a game last season.&nbsp;</p>

Men's basketball stands on the court at Alumni during a game last season. 

On Tuesday, UB men’s basketball announced it will open the season against Towson and Army West Point as a part of “Bubbleville” at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT.

UB was originally scheduled to face Vermont and Iona, but COVID related issues forced both schools to pull out of the tournament.

The only MAC school represented in Bubbleville, the Bulls will face Towson at 4:30 p.m. on Friday and Army on Saturday at 3 p.m.

Buffalo faced off against both Army and Towson last season. The Bulls lost to the Black Knights 89-76 at Alumni Arena, but defeated the Tigers in the Charleston Classic 76-73.

Without having played a game yet, the Bulls have already had one cancellation and two games rescheduled with different opponents this season.

UB was originally scheduled to face Division II opponent Gannon in its season opener, but the game was canceled due to positive COVID test results within Gannon’s program.

During a Mid-American Conference Zoom call last Thursday, UB head coach Jim Whitesell said the team was planning on attending Bubbleville, regardless of their newly scheduled opponents, after Vermont and Iona’s withdrawal.

“The opponents have almost changed daily, it might change, literally, before I go to practice this morning,” Whitesell said last Thursday. “I’ll have two teams that might be in there and then come back. Yesterday it was two other teams.”

With their first contest in Bubbleville just three days away, the Bulls will now prepare for Towson and Army on short notice. 

Anthony DeCicco is the Senior Sports Editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @DeCicco42.

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Spectrum has been covering the University at Buffalo since 1950, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

ANTHONY DECICCO
94257577_224320411997177_1437621941627256832_n.jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the senior sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found playing video games, watching ‘90s Knicks games and arguing with people on NBA Twitter at 3 a.m.