Tuesday, January 19, 2021
The independent student publication of The Unversity at Buffalo, since 1950

First men’s and women’s basketball games canceled due to positive COVID tests

Contests canceled after Gannon reported positive tests within its programs

<p>Both the men’s and women’s Nov. 25 basketball game against Gannon has been canceled amid a rise in COVID cases&nbsp;</p>

Both the men’s and women’s Nov. 25 basketball game against Gannon has been canceled amid a rise in COVID cases 

On Monday, UB announced both the men’s and women’s Nov. 25 basketball games against Gannon won’t be played due to positive COVID test results and subsequent contact tracing within Gannon’s Tier 1 personnel. 

Tier 1 members include student-athletes, coaches, team managers and athletic support staff.

“The well-being of student-athletes and staff remains the primary concern for everyone in our community,” UB Athletics said in a statement released Monday night. “The Department of Athletics and the university will continue to follow all guidelines and safety protocols provided by the NCAA, Mid-American Conference and Erie County Health Department officials.”

The cancellation comes after a slew of COVID related issues throughout college basketball. Over the last couple of days, head coaches Rick Barnes of Tennessee and Scott Drew of Baylor both tested positive for COVID. Duke’s first game against Gardner-Webb was also postponed and in-conference opponent Akron opted out of the “Gulf Coast Showcase” in Estero, FL due to COVID concerns.

Neither contest will be made up, and both the men’s and women’s basketball teams are working with other programs to arrange schedule adjustments.

Anthony DeCicco is the Senior Sports Editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @DeCicco42.

ANTHONY DECICCO
94257577_224320411997177_1437621941627256832_n.jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the senior sports editor for The Spectrum. In his free time, he can be found playing video games, watching ‘90s Knicks games and arguing with people on NBA Twitter at 3 a.m.