MAC releases operational plans for fall sports

Fall sports could return in the spring

Marcy Barberic driving towards the Niagara goal.

The Mid-American Conference announced an operational plan to bring back multiple fall sports this spring and winter, including wrestling, swimming and diving, volleyball, men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey and cross country. 

Although there is no plan set, there were recommendations released about how the conference should go about bringing these sports back in a safe way. These plans include holding fall sports and spring sports simultaneously in early 2021.

Each sport that comes back will compete in a conference-only schedule in an attempt to limit the amount of contact between teams off the field. Although the season will be MAC-only, the teams will be able to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship, should they make it that far.

“I want to commend the many individuals – administrators, coaches, student-athletes, faculty, facility and medical staff who contributed to this endeavor,” MAC Commissioner Dr. John Steinbrecher said. “The working groups were thoughtful in developing the operational plans and making sure the plans provided for managing the health and welfare of the participants.”

Each sport was given recommendations addressing how to go about their season safely.

Wrestling would include an eight-week season beginning on Jan. 1 with the conference championships being held on Feb. 27 and 28.

Swimming and diving would have its season start on Nov. 5 and hold the conference championships in mid-April.

Volleyball would take part in a 22-game double round-robin formatted season over a 10-week period between Jan. 22 and Mar. 27, with the championship game being held on Apr. 2 and 3. 

Women’s soccer would compete in 10 conference games from Mar. 4 to Apr. 10, followed by a single-match championship game that will take place on Sat., Apr. 17.

Men’s soccer will compete in 10 conference matches in a double round robin format between Mar. 7 and Apr. 18.

Field hockey will compete in 12 conference matches in a double round-robin format between Mar. 12 and Apr. 24.

Other sports’ operational plans will be announced soon. 

Alex Lenneberg is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at alex.lenneberg@ubspectrum.com and @lennebergalex on Twitter. 

ALEX LENNEBERG

Alex Lenneberg is an assistant sports editor for The Spectrum.