Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Big Ten’s decision to play football this fall has the UB football team asking, ‘why can’t WE play?’

Frustration mounts and pressure escalates as the MAC insists on not playing football this fall

<p>The Bulls coming out of the tunnel for their game against Temple on 2/2/2020</p>

The Bulls coming out of the tunnel for their game against Temple on 2/2/2020

The Mid-American Conference announced Wednesday that it will not be playing football this fall and will continue its plan to play fall sports in the spring. 

After the Big Ten Conference announced it will resume its college football season starting Oct. 24, the MAC released a statement regarding its plan.

“Currently there are no plans to play a fall season in any sport,” read a statement from MAC commissioner Jason Steinbrecher. “We are focused on providing our fall student-athletes meaningful competitive experiences in the spring.”

As more conferences elect to resume their college football season, pressure on the MAC continues to mount.

Junior running back Jaret Patterson expressed his displeasure with the MAC’s decision, tweeting multiple times and even tagging Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

The MAC, along with the Pac-12 and Mountain West are the only NCAA Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision conferences not playing football this fall due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

With the Big Ten electing to play this fall, the pressure is on the MAC to meet their athletes’ demands, but also keep them safe.

Anthony DeCicco is the Senior Sports Editor and can be reached at anthony.decicco@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @DeCicco42.

ANTHONY DECICCO
Studio Session-018 (1).jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the Editor-in-Chief of The Spectrum. His words have appeared in outlets such as SLAM Magazine andSyracuse.com. In 2020, he was awarded First Prize for Sports Column Writing at the Society of Professional Journalists' Region 1 Mark of Excellence Awards. In his free time, he can be found watching ‘90s Knicks games and reading NFL Mock Drafts at 3 a.m.