UB to host virtual graduation ceremonies for class of 2020

Online ceremonies in planning stages as officials explore on-campus options for later date

<p>UB is planning to host virtual commencement according to President Satish Tripathi's Monday email.</p>

UB is planning to host virtual commencement according to President Satish Tripathi's Monday email.

UB will host a virtual commencement ceremony for its class of 2020, according to a Monday email from President Satish Tripathi. 

Planning for the online ceremony is underway, according to Tripathi, with schools expected to email students graduation details in the coming weeks. The email did not name which online platforms UB would make available for the ceremony’s streaming. 

“At this point, we remain optimistic that we also will be able to recognize and celebrate UB’s Class of 2020 during an on-campus celebration sometime later in the year,” Tripathi wrote.

UB’s decision to host virtual graduation ceremonies comes roughly one month after SUNY’s shift to “distance learning” and two weeks after UB’s decision to postpone ceremonies following the Covid-19 outbreak.

Tripathi wrote that UB officials decided on virtual graduation ceremonies out of concerns for “the health and well-being of [the] entire UB community.”

Administrators, however, are “optimistic” that UB will “recognize and celebrate UB’s Class of 2020 during an on-campus celebration sometime later in the year.” 

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.

ELIZABETH NAPOLITANO

Elizabeth "Liz" Napolitano is the senior news editor for The Spectrum. She's an optimistic pessimist who found her love for journalism in Ecuador. She likes late night walks and reading Twitter threads in their entirety.