Medical student tests positive for COVID-19

UB officials announce second coronavirus case among UB community, more community members await testing

<p>The Jacobs School, from The Spectrum archives.</p>

The Jacobs School, from The Spectrum archives.

A medical student tested positive for COVID-19, according to a Wednesday email from Vice President for Health Sciences and Dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Michael Cain. 

The afflicted student is self-isolating as they recover from the virus, according to the email. A close family member of the student is quarantined at their off-campus home, awaiting testing. 

The new case is separate from the UB community member who tested positive for COVID-19 on March 18, according to a UB spokesperson.  

JSMBS and the Erie County Department of Health are identifying and contacting people who may have had close contact with the infected student to determine “if other precautions are needed,” according to the email. Professionals will clean the medical campus’ affected areas, according to the email. 

Cain advised community members to practice social distancing and monitor their health for the next two weeks. 

The email advised community members who have a temperature of at least 100.4 F and are coughing or experiencing shortness of breath to self-isolate and inform their primary care provider or call UB Health Services at 716-829-3316. 

Elizabeth Napolitano is the assistant news editor and can be reached at elizabeth.napolitano@ubspectrum.com or on Twitter @LizKNapolitano.

ELIZABETH NAPOLITANO

Elizabeth "Liz" Napolitano is the senior news editor for The Spectrum. She's an optimistic pessimist who found her love for journalism in Ecuador. She likes late night walks and reading Twitter threads in their entirety.