Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Fighting off the quarantine 15

Ways to stay fit at home

With most of New York, and the U.S., under quarantine, all gyms are closed and leaving many without a place to work out. For some, the lack of exercise increases anxiety and depression, which is likely already heightened from the COVID-19 outbreak.

Luckily, there are plenty of ways to stay fit while staying at home and helping flatten the curve. Be sure to shake up your self-isolation with one of these convenient at-home workouts.

POPSUGAR Fitness

This YouTube channel has hundreds of workout videos to follow along with at home. From kickboxing to Zumba to pilates to yoga, you’ll never run out of videos to choose from. What’s nice about these workouts is that they range in length, giving you options from five-minute workouts to hour-long grinds. 

The instructors change from video to video as well, helping you change up your routine a bit each time. Most workouts don’t require any equipment but some include free weights for added intensity. 

Orangetheory Fitness

This gym provides high-intensity interval-training workouts. 

Orangetheory works in circuits and when it opened in 2010, it took the nation by storm. The circuits switch up the workout so you do one activity for an allotted time before switching to another. This goes on for the entire workout.  

During the COVID-19 quarantine, Orangetheory Fitness is posting their workouts on Instagram Live throughout the day. Typically a basic package (four classes per month) for Orangetheory Fitness in Buffalo costs $49 per month with a student discount ($59 without), so take advantage of the free workouts while they last. 

RockPile Athletics 

Located in Buffalo, this athletic program focuses on CrossFit, bootcamp, rowing and strengthening. 

While everyone is in quarantine, RockPile Athletics is posting daily workouts via Instagram posts. They are also livestreaming workouts every Thursday at 6 p.m. All you need for these workouts is a chair and some floor space. 

Power Yoga Buffalo 

While many people use yoga to relax, these classes will certainly get you sweating. 

Power Yoga Buffalo is going live on Zoom and its Tuesday and Thursday classes are free. If you already have Zoom downloaded for classes, why not use it for workouts too? 

The daily schedule is posted on Power Yoga’s Instagram. If you miss a time slot, don’t worry, there are four sessions every day. 

Peloton 

We’ve all seen the Peloton commercials on TV but now you can do the workouts at home. 

Normally $13 a month, the Peloton app is currently offering a free 90-day trial. You don’t even need to buy the expensive equipment; all you need is yourself. 

The workouts include cardio, yoga, strengthening and more. You can even participate in meditation. 

Peloton also provides an option of just audio so you can feel motivated on a run. 

Nike Training Club 

This app is free and has hundreds of workouts to choose from. 

All of the workouts are created by Nike trainers, so you know they’re good. The app also suggests healthy habits in nutrition and wellness. 

During this time of uncertainty, it is good to have a bit of stability, even if it only comes in the form of a workout. 

Since the app is always free, it doesn’t have a time limit so you can keep using it after the quarantine. 

Rumble

Rumble is a kickboxing class that many celebrities, like Justin Bieber and Scooter Braun, use. 

For the first time, Rumble is offering free classes via Instagram Live during the quarantine. The classes are also on Rumble’s IGTV so  you can save them for later. So get ready to jab and hook from your living room. 

All you will need is a mat or towel for the 30-minute classes. 

Amazon Prime 

If you already have Amazon Prime, you have access to thousands of workout videos including HIIT classes, strength training, zumba and yoga. 

Similar to POPSUGAR Fitness, you can choose any video in any length of time with an array of instructors. And like the Nike Training Club, you can continue these workouts even after quarantine. 

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com