Women’s basketball drops sixth-straight game to Akron

Bulls having trouble finding rhythm as March inches closer

<p>Freshman Guard Dyaisha Fair goes in for a shot during the game against the Akron, Zips Wednesday night in the Alumni Arena.</p>

Freshman Guard Dyaisha Fair goes in for a shot during the game against the Akron, Zips Wednesday night in the Alumni Arena.

UB women’s basketball (13-11) dropped its sixth-straight game to the Akron Zips (12-12) at Alumni Arena Wednesday, falling 69-63.

The Bulls came into the game looking to end their losing streak, but walked off their home court with another loss.

Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack has gone with many different lineups over the course of her team’s losing streak. Freshman guard Jessika Schiffer made her fourth appearance this season in Legette-Jack’s starting five.

“We have to find a group that can start us,” Legette-Jack said. “We have not found that combination yet.”

The Zips got off to a hot start in the first quarter by making their first three shot attempts to take a 7-0 lead. Although the Zips had the hot hand early, shooting 7-12 in the first quarter, the Bulls found themselves with a one-point lead at the end of the frame, despite going 7-23 from the field.

The Bulls continued to struggle in the second quarter, shooting just 27.8% from the field and going 0-7 from three-point range.

“We can’t make the open three, so we drive it to hole,” Legette-Jack said. “We drive it to the hole and we just keep getting to the line.”

UB headed to the locker room down 32-28. Senior guard Theresa Onwuka led the Bulls with 7 points at the half.

The Bulls came out in the third playing aggressive defense, applying pressure on the Zips and keeping the game close.

But the shooting woes continued in the second half as the Bulls struggled to put the ball in the basket, shooting 13-25.

The Bulls fought hard and took a 43-42 lead late in the third. Akron quickly responded and ended the frame up by 3. The Zips didn’t look back after that.

Akron senior forward Haliegh Reinoehl led all scorers with 24 points, adding 13 rebounds. Onwuka had a double-double of her own by recording 21 points and 12 rebounds.

The Bulls had difficulties from the free-throw line, shooting 13-23.

“They have to make free throws,” Legette-Jack said. “They make free throws, we win.”

Although the losing streak is “disappointing,” Legette-Jack said, “I'm excited about the lessons we are learning through this process.”

While the Bulls continue to face adversity as they get closer to March, Legette-Jack still has hope.

“As long as I have a breath in my body, I got hope in my heart.”

The Bulls are looking to get a much needed win under their belt in their next contest against Bowling Green. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.