Suspect connected to South Campus thefts to face charges

Repeated offender stole key to enter building, laptops and personal property

<p>Squire Hall on South Campus.</p>

Squire Hall on South Campus.

A woman banned from UB on Jan. 14 is facing charges after University Police connected her to five thefts on South Campus. UPD is working with the Erie County District Attorney’s office to indict Wright, looking to secure a plea bargain covering all the thefts.

Buffalo resident Destiny Wright is connected to five thefts on UB’s South Campus beginning as early as Sept. 2019, according to UPD Deputy Chief Joshua Sticht. She allegedly stole faculty credit cards, IDs and personal property, along with a university key to Squire Hall and two laptops. She stole from other buildings, too, according to Sticht. 

UPD charged Wright with third-degree burglary with the intent to commit a crime, fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, fourth-degree grand larceny and six other charges. 

Wright took the key from Squire Hall after it was left unattended, according to Sticht.

A faculty member reported two laptops and personal property were stolen from her Squire office on Jan. 8. Later on, several staff members in Squire called UPD on Jan. 14 around 6:30 p.m. about a suspicious woman who matched Wright’s description. Through surveillance footage UPD spotted Wright and directed the dispatched officers to her location. Sticht says she was found with the stolen property from Jan. 8 and some narcotics. 

UPD shared Wright’s image on its “Do You Know This Person?” website on Oct. 15. Video from one of the September thefts allowed UPD to easily identify Wright in January. 

They did not recover the two laptops.

Wright was arraigned in Buffalo City Court the next morning. She was served a “persona non-grata,” banning her from all UB campuses and buildings. 

Wright did not reply to comment for the story.

UB has not made an official statement regarding any of the thefts.

“[Students and staff] should lock their doors whenever possible” Sticht said. “Every time [Wright] committed a theft, she found an open, unattended room in which she entered and picked up any property that she could easily carry away.”

Sticht recommends that people “report suspicious people to us right away when they see them.” 

For any emergencies on campus, UPD asks students to call 716-645-2222.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.