Men’s basketball defeats Kent State in double overtime

Bulls win a 104-98 thriller in Kent

<p>Senior guard Antwain Johnson goes in for the dunk.</p>

Senior guard Antwain Johnson goes in for the dunk.

UB men’s basketball (18-9) defeated conference opponent Kent State (17-10) in double overtime. Despite the Golden Flashes boasting a strong 11-2 record at home prior to the contest, junior guard Jayvon Graves and senior guard Davonta Jordan lead the team to victory. 

Graves scored a career-high 33 points, shot 50% from the field and a tremendous 70% from 3-point range to bring his team to a huge victory. Jordan also shot 50% from the field while scoring 20 points. Both Graves and Jordan hit huge shots for UB throughout the fourth quarter and overtime periods. 

Kent State senior guard Antonio Williams also featured a career high. Williams, who averaged 13 points per game prior to the contest, exploded with 34 points. He challenged the Bulls all game and picked up the scoring slack when the Golden Flashes needed it. Kent’s sophomore guard Anthony Roberts also had an impressive offensive performance with 23 points.

The Bulls’ stars stepped up to the plate when they needed clutch shots. Graves, Jordan and senior guard Antwain Johnson hit huge threes, responding to Kent’s immense pressure. 

Sophomore forward Josh Mballa showed off a strong interior presence with 13 points and 14 rebounds off the bench, as well as a strong overtime performance to help UB secure the victory.

UB’s fourth-consecutive win comes at a great time, with the MAC tournament coming in March. UB will need to continue this winning streak to gain momentum going into the tournament.

The win showcased the Bulls’ ability to respond to adversity, something they will have to do time and time again if they want to make the NCAA Tournament this year.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.

ANTHONY DECICCO
Studio Session-018 (1).jpg

Anthony DeCicco is the Editor-in-Chief of The Spectrum. His words have appeared in outlets such as SLAM Magazine andSyracuse.com. In 2020, he was awarded First Prize for Sports Column Writing at the Society of Professional Journalists' Region 1 Mark of Excellence Awards. In his free time, he can be found watching ‘90s Knicks games and reading NFL Mock Drafts at 3 a.m.