Football running back Dylan McDuffie arrested on domestic violence charges

Student-athlete suspended from team, pending police investigation

UB Stadium on a rainy day.
UB Stadium on a rainy day.

University Police arrested football running back Dylan McDuffie on domestic violence charges Saturday. 

UB suspended the redshirt freshman from the team, pending a police investigation. 

UPD took McDuffie into custody Saturday evening and referred the case to local authorities. The victim is not a UB student, according to a UB release. UB is withholding her identity for her “privacy and safety.”

“Whenever there is a serious violation of our program’s code of conduct, we will take immediate action to address the situation, with the understanding that the university and law enforcement has a process that must be respected and followed,” UB Football Head Coach Lance Leipold said in the release. “Domestic violence will not be tolerated.”

UB hasn't provided any additional details about the arrest.

McDuffie grew up in Amherst, where he attended Sweet Home High School. He was the No. 28 ranked recruit in New York State in 2018. He has 23 rushes for 150 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns in 2019 and has received limited playing time as a third-string running back. 

This is a developing story.

Justin Weiss is an asst. sports editor and can be reached at justin.weiss@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @jwmlb1.

JUSTIN WEISS
justin-weiss-headshot.jpg

Justin Weiss is The Spectrum's managing editor. In his free time, he can be found hiking, playing baseball or throwing things at his TV when his sports teams aren't winning. His words have appeared in Elite Sports New York and the Long Island Herald. He can be found on Twitter @Jwmlb1.