Stampede stats: Bulls dominate for third-straight win

UB wins 43-14 in Ypsilanti

<p>Sophomore running back Jaret Patterson getting ready to take the field.</p>

Sophomore running back Jaret Patterson getting ready to take the field.

On Saturday, the Bulls (5-4, 3-2 MAC) earned their biggest win of the 2019 season when they blew past the Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-5, 1-4 MAC), 43-14.

Buffalo is now just one win away from becoming bowl eligible for the fourth time in program history.

The Bulls had their most complete game of the 2019 season, doubling the Eagles in total yardage and having a nearly even split in the passing and running games.

It was the first time in program history that the Bulls defeated Eastern Michigan at Rynearson Stadium.

Running back Jarret Patterson rushed for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns to help the Bulls reach the 43-point mark for the second straight week.

Quarterback Kyle Vantrease completed 15-of-23 passes for one touchdown and zero interceptions.

Here’s everything you need to know about the Bulls’ week-nine win in Ypsilanti:

What led to the win

The first quarter was a struggle for the Bulls, who trailed 7-2 after 15 minutes of play. Their defense showed up, held the Eagles to a single score and forced a safety, their first of the year.

As the second quarter came along, the Bulls’ offense exploded, tallying 4 touchdowns. Sophomore running back Kevin Marks earned the first 9-yard touchdown, followed by 2 more touchdown runs by Vantrease. The fourth and final touchdown of the quarter was a 10-yard pass to junior wide receiver Antonio Nunn.

The Bulls never looked back, as Patterson ran for two more touchdowns, finishing with 43 points.
 After the Eagles’ first-quarter score, the Bulls’ defense limited them to only 126 total yards through the rest of the game. 

Who showed out

Quarterback Kyle Vantrease was very effective, particularly with his legs. He ran for 2 touchdowns and threw for another, as he once again led the Bulls’ offense to new heights.

On the ground, Patterson and Marks combined for 250 yards and three touchdowns, as they both continued their ascent up the school record books. Experienced offensive tackles Evin Ksiezarczyk and Tomas Jack-Kurdyla held their own against the Eagles’ pass rush.

On the other side of the ball, defensive tackle Chibueze Onwuka led the way with five total tackles and one sack. Fellow defensive tackle Tyrece Woods Jr. complimented him with three tackles and 1.5 sacks.

In his third-straight start at punter, freshman Jackson Baltar averaged a season-best 42.3 yards per punt, including one that traveled 52 yards.

What’s next

After a rocky start to conference play, the Bulls seem to have found their stride, winning their last three games by a combined 73 points. The Bulls look to extend their winning streak when they travel to Kent, OH, to take on the Kent State Golden Flashes (3-5, 2-2 MAC) Thursday night.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.