Former UB wrestler places fifth at world championships

Wrestling coach Muhamed McBryde earns highest finish ever for UB alum

UB volunteer assistant wrestling coach Muhamed McBryde placed fifth at the 2019 Under 23 World Championships in Hungary.

McBryde competed in the freestyle 79 kilograms bracket and earned the highest finish ever for a UB alum at the World Championships.

McBryde wrestled at UB from 2013-17 and was named an Academic All-MAC selection twice. He earned a fourth-place finish at the 2017 MAC Championships and finished his UB career with a 44-46 record.

McBryde was the freestyle 79 kilograms bracket champion at the U23 World Team Trials this summer.

While representing the United States at the Under 23 World Championships in Budapest from Oct. 3-28, McBryde defeated wrestlers from Estonia and Egypt and dropped matches to competitors from Georgia and Turkey.

He lost the bronze medal match to Turkey’s Ramazan Sari, 8-3.

In 2018, UB wrestler Alex Smythe represented the U.S. at the U23 World Championships in Romania, after defeating NCAA third-place finisher Evan Wick in a best-of-three series at qualifiers.

Smythe and McBryde were both recruited to the UB program by head coach John Stutzman.

Justin Weiss is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at justin.weiss@ubspectrum.com.

JUSTIN WEISS
justin-weiss-headshot.jpg

Justin Weiss is The Spectrum's managing editor. In his free time, he can be found hiking, playing baseball or throwing things at his TV when his sports teams aren't winning. His words have appeared in Elite Sports New York and the Long Island Herald. He can be found on Twitter @Jwmlb1.