The grapevine

Your October collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

The transition to fall means a lot of things for students in Buffalo. The weather is getting colder, classes are getting harder and students are getting understandably stressed.

But the cooler weather doesn’t mean the Buffalo music scene is cooling down any time soon.

With venues like Babeville, the KeyBank Center and Town Ballroom, Buffalo is full of opportunities for students to be entertained while spending the rest of their days waiting for pumpkin spice lattes. 

We’ve compiled a list of music acts coming to Buffalo this month for students to enjoy in between classes.

Phil Collins - KeyBank Center

Friday, Oct. 4

Fans of the movie “Tarzan” or the band Genesis can look forward to singer, songwriter and drummer Phil Collins’ return to the stage. 

Collins is known for his massive success in the music industry, having more U.S. Top 40 singles than any artist in the ‘80s and his Oscar win for Best Original Song for “You’ll Be in My Heart” from the wildly successful 1999 Disney movie. He is known for his distinct sound, using gated-reverb drums in his recordings.

Collins will be performing hit songs “Against All Odds” and “In the Air Tonight” among others during his Buffalo performance of his “Not Dead Yet Tour.” The tour is based on his 2016 autobiography of the same name and, of course, the fact that he’s still alive.

Big Wreck - Town Ballroom

Saturday, Oct. 5

Students itching for rock music can look forward to Big Wreck’s performance at the Town Ballroom in October. 

The Canadian-American rock band formed in Boston in 1994 is known for its albums “In Loving Memory Of…,” “Albatross,” “Ghosts,” and its most recent album, “... but for the sun.” The band’s 1997 single "The Oaf (My Luck Is Wasted)" earned a spot in the top ten on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart in 1998. The band will embark on the “But For the Sun Tour” in Canada later in October, after the Buffalo performance. 

Post Malone - KeyBank Center

Sunday, Oct. 6

It is almost impossible to listen to the radio and not hear Post Malone in 2019. The Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist rose to stardom with his 2015 hit “White Iverson.” Now, Post Malone is known for his hits "Rockstar" and "Psycho." In 2016, Malone toured with Justin Bieber as an opener for Bieber’s “Purpose World Tour” and the platform saw him take off commercially soon after. Malone has since headlined his own tours, the “Stoney Tour” and the “Beerbongs & Bentleys Tour.”

Now, Malone is embarking on his 2019 tour, “Runaway” and hitting arenas without help from the Biebs. The tour will reach cities across the U.S., like Houston, Detroit, Boston and Buffalo. 

The Chainsmokers - KeyBank Center

Saturday, Oct. 12

The EDM pop-duo The Chainsmokers formed in 2012, and rose to fame with their 2014 single, “#SELFIE,” which reached Platinum status in the U.S. The group has since won several awards, including a Grammy for Best Dance Recording for their song “Don’t Let Me Down.” Their single “Closer,” featuring Halsey, was the group’s first single to reach No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and still holds a special, or non-special, place in the hearts of anyone who owned a radio a few years back.

The group is now embarking on the “World War Joy Tour.” They will be accompanied by the pop-rock band 5 Seconds of Summer and up-and-coming artist, Lennon Stella, who The Spectrum previously interviewed in the spring.

chainsmokers.jpg
"Chainsmokers" by thecomeupshow is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

Haley Reinhart - Babeville

Sunday, Oct. 13

Haley Reinhart may have become famous for winning third place in the tenth season of “American Idol,” but the singer/songwriter has grown far beyond the franchise. 

The soul singer, who The Spectrum interviewed last week, has gained more recognition through performing and touring with Postmodern Jukebox in 2015, and her covers of Radiohead’s “Creep” and Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling In Love.” The latter of the two songs was featured in a commercial for Extra Gum.

Reinhart released her most recent album “Lo-Fi Soul” in March. The album channels the sounds and styles of the ‘60s. Reinhart’s Buffalo concert, a part of her “Lo-Fi Soul Tour,” will also channel this energy, with discounted tickets for students.

Julianna Tracey is the senior arts editor and can be reached at julianna.tracey@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @JTraceySpec. 

JULIANNA TRACEY

Julianna Tracey is a freshman music theater and history double major. She’s excited to explore all that the Buffalo arts scene has to offer.