Women’s tennis starts spring season with two wins

<p>The Bulls pose to celebrate their win. The women’s tennis team opened its 2019 spring season with two dominating performances.</p>

The Bulls pose to celebrate their win. The women’s tennis team opened its 2019 spring season with two dominating performances.

Miller Tennis Center reopened for business this weekend as men’s and women’s tennis each hosted their first home matches of the season.

The women’s tennis team picked right up where it left off last season, when the Bulls won their second-straight Mid-American Conference Championship. Now the team is on track for a third.

Buffalo won 13 of a possible 14 points in their two matches. UB won 7-0 against Niagara and beat Siena 6-1 on Saturday. The only point the Bulls dropped was at fifth singles against Siena.

Senior Chantal Martinez Blanco and freshman Nikoleta Antoniou-Karademitrou teamed up at first doubles this season. Blanco and Karademitrou broke the doubles point tie with a 7-6 (4) win against Siena to give Buffalo the point.

Freshman Hsin-Yuah Shih secured her first collegiate win by only dropping one game at fifth singles with a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Freshman Pia Schwarz won 6-1, 6-1 at third singles against Niagara for her first career win.

Men’s tennis lost a heartbreaker to fall 4-3 to Temple on Saturday. Senior Ethan Nittolo moved up to first doubles in the Bulls’ first match and fell 7-5, 6-4 to Temple’s Uladzimir Dorash breaking the match tie of 3-3.

"Temple came in and outplayed us, but we understand now that we are going to take everyone's best shot and we’re okay with that," head coach Lee Nickell told UBBulls.com. "We are going to work on the mental side as we prepare for Mercer and North Florida next weekend.”

The Bulls recorded wins at second, third and sixth singles but lost the doubles point only winning on court two.

Sports Desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @UBSpecSports