Three more players enter transfer portal

Reed, Mabry and Jones set sights on leaving UB

<p>Junior tight end Tyler Mabry goes out for a pass. Mabry is one of three new Bulls to enter the NCAA transfer portal.</p>

Junior tight end Tyler Mabry goes out for a pass. Mabry is one of three new Bulls to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

The UB football roster continues to change for next season with three more players potentially transferring. 

Running back Emmanuel Reed, tight end Tyler Mabry and wide receiver Charlie Jones all submitted paperwork to enter the NCAA transfer portal. UB has two days to submit their names into the portal once they fill out the paperwork. Coaches from other schools are then allowed to contact them. Wide receiver K.J. Osborn already announced he will be leaving UB to play at University of Miami next season.

UB dropped Reed from its offensive game plan this year with the emergence of freshmen running backs Jaret Patterson and Kevin Marks. Reed had 199 carries for 840 yards and nine touchdowns during the 2017-18 season. He was named a Doak Walker Award preseason watchlist member for this season and finished with only 82 rushes for 371 yards this year.

Mabry’s production remained the same as last season, but UB mostly utilized him as a run blocker instead of a pass catcher. Mabry would be immediately eligible to play at any school he transfers to. 

Jones finished with the third-most reception yards on the team during his redshirt-freshman season. He would have to sit out a year if he decides to transfer. Jones, with no clear quarterback for next season, is exploring his options despite both Osborn and Anthony Johnson leaving.

The Bulls’ next season will have to fill holes at quarterback –– with Tyree Jackson declaring for the draft –– center, linebacker, cornerback and defensive end. Jackson entered the portal before declaring for the NFL draft.

All three could potentially be back in a Buffalo uniform for next season but typically once a player enters the portal, they don’t leave.

Head coach Lance Leipold and his staff will have a lot of work to do to repeat last season’s success. With Leipold here until 2023, fans hope the Bulls will be able to replicate the 2018-19 season.

Nathaniel Mendelson is the senior sports editor and can be reached at nathaniel.mendelson@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @NateMendelson