Bulls win Belfast Classic

Basketball wins two-straight games to earn non-conference invite title

The Bulls basketball team beat the Milwaukee Panthers (2-6) and the San Francisco Dons (7-1) this weekend, to win the Belfast Hall of Fame Classic in Belfast, Northern Ireland for the first time in program history. 

Senior forward Nick Perkins had a great two-game road trip, scoring 20 points the first and 22 in the second game. Perkins had 14 rebounds in the two games combined. Senior guard CJ Massinburg had 31 points over the weekend and shot 50 percent from beyond the arc. Head coach Nate Oats earned his first non-conference championship since heading the program three years ago.

Senior guard Jeremy Harris had his first two solid scoring performances this season. Harris finished with 21 points against the Panthers and 15 points with 8 rebounds against the Dons. Harris only had 6 points in his last game before the classic. 

Buffalo started the tournament on Friday and beat the Panthers 96-77. The game was close until three quarters into the first, when Buffalo asserted itself scoring. The Bulls led 43-32 at the half. Buffalo loosened on defense in the second, but fired off offensively to score 53 in the second half and secure the win.

The Bulls finished the tournament Saturday with an 85-81 win over San Francisco. The game was tight, with neither team having a lead in double digits. Both teams shot roughly 50 percent, though Buffalo had four more threes than the Dons and took the edge. The Bulls secured the win off free throws from Massinburg in the last minute of play.

Buffalo plays next in a home game against the Le Moyne Dolphins (5-2), Wednesday with tip off set for 7 p.m.

Sports Desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com