Bulls trample Marist at home

Massinburg scores 21 after one-game absence, Buffalo defense dominates

<p>Senior guard CJ Massinburg lays the ball up and in past the Daemon defenders. Massinburg returned after a one game absence Saturday, scoring 21 in a win against the Marist Red Foxes.&nbsp;</p>

Senior guard CJ Massinburg lays the ball up and in past the Daemon defenders. Massinburg returned after a one game absence Saturday, scoring 21 in a win against the Marist Red Foxes. 

Senior guard CJ Massinburg returned to continue his highlight season Saturday afternoon and  helped men’s basketball win 76-49 over the Marist Red Foxes. 

The Bulls (5-0) were solid scoring, shooting 27-of-53 from the court and making 50 percent of their three attempts. Massinburg and sophomore guard Jayvon Graves made up almost half of Buffalo’s scoring, combing for 10 three pointers and 6 rebounds. Graves earned a season-high 16 points, marking his third double-digit scoring performance this season. 

The Bulls played a high-pressure, perimeter-oriented style that saw them never let up on Marist (1-4). The Bulls held the lead for the rest of the game after making it 14-13 in the final 9 minutes of the first half.

By the time the first was over, Buffalo’s lead was 34-20.

The Bulls then tightened their control, scoring 42 in the second half. Marist had trouble finding baskets all night, shooting 35 percent from the field. The Red Foxes got most of their points from the bench and scored 34.

Buffalo’s top-scoring forwards, seniors Jeremy Harris and Nick Perkins, had rough shooting nights, making less than 25 percent of their shots. Both players still contributed with Harris having a team-high 8 assists and Perkins leading in rebounds with 7.

The Bulls play next in the Belfast Hall of Fame Classic against the Milwaukee Panthers (2-4), at 5:30 a.m. Friday in Belfast, Ireland. 

Sports desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com