Bulls beat Georgetown Hoyas in Las Vegas

Dillard’s scoring helps women’s basketball earn its first big conference win of the season

Buffalo playing man defense in Alumni Arena. Senior guard Cierra Dillard had 31 points in the Bulls' win against Georgetown Friday

Women’s basketball earned a hard-fought 73-64 win against the Georgetown Hoyas Friday night in this year’s annual South Point Shootout in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

The Bulls (3-1) were coming off their first loss of the season after starting 2-0. Senior guard Cierra Dillard went 4-of-5 from behind the arc. Dillard finished with 33 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists. Junior guard Theresa Onwuka and senior forward Courtney Wilkins both finished with 11 points and 6 rebounds. Dillard had a team high in assists and all three players had a team high in rebounds. Buffalo played only nine players in the game, with three playing over 30 minutes.

The Bulls played a strong defensive game and still shot 50 percent from behind the three-line. Wilkins went 3-of-5 from the field, being one of Buffalo’s most productive players. The Bulls outscored Georgetown (4-2) in the first three quarters and were only outscored by 2 points in the fourth. Buffalo was able to outpace the Hoyas with its fast-motion defense, combining for 11 steals. Dillard finishished with a team-high 5 steals. 

The Hoyas could not find consistent baskets shooting 21-of-61, but out rebounded the Bulls 43-to-33. Georgetown only had two players shoot over 50 percent. Hoya sophomore center Anita Kelava had 15 points, a team high, and 8 rebounds.

Buffalo will play the South Dakota State Jackrabbits (3-1) next on Saturday with a startime of 8 p.m. This will be the Bulls’ final game in the South Point Shootout.

Sports desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com