Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UB Secrets II: The spooky unknowns

More hidden locations throughout North Campus

<p>The golf tee on top of Baldy Hall is one of UB’s hidden treasures on North Campus.</p>

The golf tee on top of Baldy Hall is one of UB’s hidden treasures on North Campus.

I value every reader of this newspaper, and I also value every non-reader.

Two weeks ago, I posted my first UB Secrets article on /r/UBReddit. The post received over 1,800 views, and 37 upvotes as a majority of users responded with rays of positivity. But some users were much more critical.

“What a good way to ruin all the secrets at the school,” one user wrote.

“You guys actually cause a lot of s––t,” another user wrote. “There’s a lot of words I want to say, but I will sum up my feelings in two: f––k you.”

I absorb all sorts of feedback, and I will sum up my feelings in two words: thank you.

And as a thank you, I decided to oversaturate readers with more secrets and double down on the revelations for this issue.

The dam

Creekside Village

Critters run amuck outside of this beaver-made blockade.

The dam, located near the intersection of Bizer and Ellicott Creek near Creekside Village, is one of the unorthodox wonders of the UB world. Think the Hoover Dam, but if it was made with Sizzles boxes, plastic bags, Labatt Blue cans and True Blue cowbells.

The dam stands roughly 575 feet above sea level, a fact I had to double check three different times. Unfortunately, the actual dam itself is about five-feet tall and is reminiscent of an Ewok hut underfunded by the federal government.

Nonetheless, opposite of the dam is a chill fishing spot, which is frequently attended to by older men well into retirement. Feel free to cast a line but, at the same time, avoid any phishing attempts sent to @buffalo.edu emails.

The golf tee

Baldy Hall

Last month, legendary golfer Jack Nicklaus toured Buffalo’s Delaware Park with hopes for a signature golf course, according to The Buffalo News.

But if Nicklaus wants to build off a nifty design, he should check out the soon-to-be course spread across the roofs of North Campus.

The golf tee, located at the top of Baldy Hall, is far from a Buffalo bogey. Sure, eagles love to nest on the top of buildings across campus but occasionally, a UB employee will hit a few eagles and birdies on Baldy Hall (while avoiding harm to living birds, altogether).

If you’re looking to spot one of the tees, be sure to sneak up to a back stairwell in the Lockwood Library for a peek. A rusty wedge and a few balls are scattered on top of the Baldy roof, which serves as a green that’s just as good as the nearby Audubon Golf Course.

Although UB’s nightlife scene pops off near South Campus, a premier club also exists right in the center of North Campus, too  –– a golf club, that is.

The Wolf’s Mill

St. Rita’s Lane

Opposite of the Oozefest mud pits is an abandoned field where wolves mill about, a plot of land called “Wolf’s Mill.” This is what I thought two years ago, until I was defeated to learn there were in fact no wolves or mills at UB.

The spot, however, is perfect if you enjoy dead grass and having picnics in a pile of litter. Besides the rundown nature of the land, there’s a cool bit of history surrounding it.

The land was purchased by Skinnerville’s resident Christian Frick’s family in the early 19th century, according to a post on Find A Grave, before it was handed off to the Wolf family (not to be confused with actual wolves).

The Frick family originally started a sawmill, according to Find A Grave, where “large quantities of lumber were sawn.” Now, sadly, there is nothing to be sawn, or seen on the property.

Still, the Frick family, headed by Christian Frick, were pretty frickin’ numerous. Frick had 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren, according to the Find A Grave post, and “not one enemy [survived] him among mortals” after his death. 

Sure, buying a plot of land and starting a sawmill isn’t as plausible now as it was in 1800s, but if you want to honor the hotshot of 1837, Christian Frick, head on down past the mud pits to pay your respects.

The goose islands

Lake Lasalle

In my last article, I mentioned Kanazawa Island. The same week of publication, University Police responded to reports of marijuana odors emanating from the land, which I predicted would happen in my column.

If UPD is taking suggestions from my columns, I suggest they evict the tenants of the other two islands, which strictly house hundreds of geese on Lake LaSalle.

These islets are a gander, but students should beware of stepping foot on dry land, as the undelightful but flightful occupants are feisty.

The two plots of goose hotspots are filled with more bushes than the White House, and taking your canoe to the islands may not be worthwhile given the stones around their borders. Still, if you’re searching for a new UB territory to claim, or looking for an epic hide-and-seek stakeout spot, these islands might be for you. 

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior features editor and can be reached at benjamin.blanchet@ubspectrum.com and @BenjaminUBSpec.

BENJAMIN BLANCHET
Father Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin Blanchet is the senior engagement editor for The Spectrum. His words have been seen in The Buffalo News (Gusto) and The Sun newspapers of Western New York. Loves cryptoquip and double-doubles.