The Rundown

A preview of the weekend in UB Athletics

Football (6-1, 3-0 Mid-American Conference) Oct. 20

The Bulls head to the Glass Bowl Stadium in Toledo, Ohio this weekend as head coach Lance Leipold meets his old Division III nemesis Jason Candle for the first time in Division I. The Bulls have the top defense in the MAC while the Toledo Rockets (3-3, 1-1 MAC) have the top offense. The Rockets are number one or two in every special teams category and feature multiple weapons in the return game. For the first time all season, Buffalo may not have the best receiving corps on the field. Leipold spoke highly of the Rockets’ receivers and their depth in a press conference on Tuesday. Buffalo will be able to exploit a weak Toledo run defense that gives up nearly 200 yards per game. Junior quarterback Tyree Jackson has started to use his legs more and run for first downs, something we have not seen since he injured his knee last season. Hopefully the Bulls’ secondary continues its top efficiency rating and the front seven of Buffalo keeps Toledo’s scramble ability limited to seal the win on Saturday.

Soccer (10-5, 4-4 MAC) Oct. 18 and Oct. 21

It’s crunch time for Buffalo as it needs to win one of its last three games of the season to even have a chance of making the MAC playoffs. After a strong 6-1 non-conference start, the Bulls had trouble scoring after the loss of the team’s top scorer in senior forward Carissima Cutrona. The Bulls close out the regular season with a three-game home stretch starting Thursday in a game against the Toledo Rockets (8-6-2, 4-3-1). With Toledo sitting fifth in the conference, Buffalo would be able to move from the seventh spot with a win. Buffalo’s weekend continues on Sunday when it takes on first in the MAC Bowling Green Falcons (10-3-2, 8-0 MAC). The odds are against the Bulls as Bowling Green has looked unstoppable since starting conference play. If the Bulls can hold the Falcons to a tie, it would help with their playoff aspirations.

Volleyball (12-8, 4-4 MAC) Oct. 19 and Oct. 20

Volleyball looks to extend its winning streak to four this weekend with back-to-back home games at Alumni Arena. The Bulls start Friday against the Eastern Michigan Eagles (13-9, 5-3 MAC) who are coming off back-to-back road losses. If the Bulls win, they will establish themselves as a top team in the East division and increase their hold over third place. The Bulls haven’t won a conference set at home this season but look primed to change that coming off two road wins. Buffalo continues on Saturday night in a game against the Central Michigan Chippewas (3-17, 0-8 MAC). Central Michigan is the MAC Conference’s punching bag and it should be the Bulls’ turn to take a few swings. Expect an easy Buffalo win unless the Bulls’ recent home struggles continue to bother them. If the Bulls win both games this weekend, they will be fourth overall in the conference.

Men’s Tennis (0-0, 0-0 MAC) Oct. 19-21 

Tennis fell in the round of 32 at the International Tennis Association Northeast Regionals. The Bulls played against opponents from Cornell, Princeton, Harvard and Yale. Head coach Lee Nickell was upset with his team’s performance after the tournament stating, “I didn't come to UB to be satisfied with playing second fiddle to the Ivy League teams.” Juniors Hao Sheng Koay and Vilhelm Fridell both received first-round byes and won their round of 64 matches. While in doubles, each group won their round of 64 match but lost in the round of 32, eliminating the Bulls from the tournament. This weekend, the Bulls will compete in the Dartmouth Invitational and will look for better results. 

Sports Desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com