The Rundown

A preview of this week in UB Athletics

<p></p>

Football (4-1, 1-0 Mid-American Conference)

Football heads to Mount Pleasant, Michigan this weekend to face the struggling Central Michigan Chippewas (1-4, 0-1 MAC). The Bulls are coming off its first loss of the year. The 42-13 loss against the Army Black Knights marked the first time this season the Bulls failed to put up more than 30 points. Junior quarterback Tyree Jackson looks to rebound after his worst performance of the season, passing for only 152 yards and completing 10 passes. Senior linebacker Khalil Hodge will hope to control the Central Michigan offense after tying a career high 20 tackles against Army (2-2). In only 29 games he is sixth in career tackles for the Bulls after passing former standout Khalil Mack. Head coach Lance Leipold noted discipline issues with the team. The Bulls committed seven penalties against Army, tying its season high. Leipold said it was a reflection of him and his coaching staff and the only way to improve was for him to get better. The game against Central Michigan will kickoff at 12 p.m. and be broadcasted nationally on CBS Sports Network.

Soccer (9-2, 3-1 MAC)

Soccer plays two games this week. On Thursday, the Bulls play away against Kent State (6-5-1, 2-2-0 MAC) and return to UB Stadium on Sunday to play Ohio (4-5-2, 2-1-1 MAC). The Bulls went 2-0 this weekend. Freshman goalkeeper Emily Kelly recorded her sixth shutout of the season Friday night. Senior forward Carissima Cutrona continued her dominance with 2 goals and 1 assist. Cutrona leads the team with 8 goals and 8 assists. Through just 11 games she has already passed her career high in assists. Cutrona went down with a knee injury during Sunday’s match against the Eastern Michigan Eagles (7-6, 2-2 MAC). Head coach Shawn Burke was happy for the two wins but is more focused on the health of his star player. 

Volleyball (10-6, 2-2 MAC)

Volleyball earned its first win in MAC play against the Ohio Bobcats (8-9, 3-1 MAC) on Friday. Sophomore outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic recorded a then-career high in kills with 25. Mitrovic averages just over 4 kills per set and leads the team with .221 on the season. The Bulls went to five sets against the Kent State Golden Flashes (8-10, 1-3 MAC) on Sunday. The Bulls won to sweep its weekend play and rebound against MAC teams. Mitrovic recorded a new career high of 34 kills. Head coach Blair Brown-Lipsitz was annoyed with her team’s effort after two losses to open up the MAC season. Buffalo plays the Akron Zips (8-7, 0-4 MAC) away on Thursday and returns home to play the Ball State Cardinals (12-5, 3-1 MAC) on Saturday. The Ball State game will be broadcasted on ESPN+.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com