Bulls win back-to-back on the road

Mitrovic leads team with 26-kill performance

<p>Junior outside hitter Rachel Sanks spikes the ball over the net. The Bulls won both games over the weekend including a five set come from behind win over the Northern Illinois Huskies</p>

Junior outside hitter Rachel Sanks spikes the ball over the net. The Bulls won both games over the weekend including a five set come from behind win over the Northern Illinois Huskies

Volleyball went 2-0 this past weekend winning Mid-American Conference games against the Western Michigan Broncos and the Northern Illinois Huskies. 

Sophomore outside hitter Andrea Mitrovic led the team in kills with 45 combined in the two matches and 26 in the Illinois match. This marked the Bulls’ (12-8, 4-4 MAC) first wins in October after dropping two earlier this month.

Buffalo now sits in third in the MAC East Division trailing behind the Bowling Green Falcons (13-8, 7-1 MAC) and the Miami (OH) Redhawks (15-5, 7-1 MAC). The Bulls lost to both teams during the opening weekend of MAC play, but have gone 4-2 since the losses.

The Bulls started last Friday night in Kalamazoo, Michigan, with a 3-1 win over the Broncos (13-9, 3-5 MAC). After dropping a close 25-22 set to start, Buffalo would win the next three sets by three points or less. The hard-fought match was highlighted by three Buffalo players getting double-digit kills.

Buffalo would follow the performance up on Saturday night with a 3-2 win against the Huskies (7-16, 5-3 MAC). It was a back-and-forth game in DeKalb, Illinois that saw the Bulls bounce back from a 2-1 Northern Illinois lead. Buffalo had 10 errors in the first set and nine in the third, both of which they lost. The Bulls were able to focus and only had six errors in the last two sets combined.

The Bulls will play their next game against the Eastern Michigan Eagles (13-9, 5-3 MAC) Friday at Alumni Arena, with a start time of 6 p.m.

Sports Desk can be reached at: sports@ubspectrum.com