News Briefs

What you need to know in local, national and global news

Campus

UB physicists win $1.45 million to study high energy-physics

Three UB physics professors received $1.45 million from the National Science Foundation for research in high-energy physics, according to UB Now.

The foundation awarded the grant to Salvatore Rappoccio, associate professor of physics in the College of Arts and Sciences, and UB physics professors Ia Iashvili and Avto Kharchilava. Funding began Sept. 1, days after UB scientists contributed to the latest discovery in high-energy physics.

On Aug. 28, a team comprised of thousands of international researchers –– including the three UB professors –– announced they observed the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle, decaying into a pair of lighter particles called a bottom quark and antibottom quark.

The finding deepened researchers’ understanding of why objects have mass and validated the Standard Model, an equation physicists have used to describe the way the universe works.

Family donates $500,000 to Jacobs School of Medicine

Family members of the late oncologist Amin Tjota donated $500,000 to the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences downtown, according to a UB press release.

Tjota’s children said his dad never saw the new medical school, but would’ve been excited by the growth of the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. He would have wanted the money to go where he received his training, to remain connected with the place where his training and career started, family members said.

On Aug. 15, the Tjota family attended the unveiling of the newly named robotics suite on the seventh floor of the Jacobs School building: the Amin Tjota, MD, PhD ’91, Melawati Yuwono, MD, and Tjota Family Advanced Procedures Suite.

Amin’s daughter Natalie, a second-year UB medical student, said she hopes the suite will help carry on her father’s legacy and allow the next generation of students to learn with state of the art tools and technology.

Local

Bishop Malone apologizes to abuse victims, but says he won’t step down

A letter by Bishop Richard J. Malone posted on the Buffalo Diocese website was read at masses on Saturday and Sunday. In the letter, he apologized to victims of sexual abuse by Catholic clergy and for his failure in addressing the abuse, be reiterated that he won’t step down.

Malone acknowledged recent criticism of church leadership and said it was justified. Even so, he plans on keeping his position until his planned retirement in 2021.

Malone’s letter comes days after State Attorney General Barbara D. Underwood launched a statewide investigation into the Catholic clergy’s sexual abuse of children.

LeSean McCoy not expected to face charges in home invasion and attack on ex-girlfriend

Bills running back LeSean McCoy is expected to avoid criminal charges associated with the alleged home invasion and attack on his former girlfriend at his Georgia home, according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.