UB softball battles through the cold

Buffalo splits doubleheader with Canisius

UB softball split its doubleheader with the Canisius Griffins on Wednesday afternoon. The Bulls dominated in the first game winning 8-0 in six innings, while junior pitcher Ally Power had one of her best performances this season. Without Power on the mound, game two ended in a 15-5 Griffins win. Canisius batters refocused and connected off Buffalo and put up six runs in two separate innings.

“Obviously it’s really nice to come out and get a win,” said head coach Mike Roberts. “We got some really good performances today; one great performance from Ally. Ally came out and really threw well. Six innings, ten strikeouts that’s a really good outing for her.”

Power struggled early on, loading the bases before getting an out. She buckled down and retired the next three batters to preserve the Bulls’ early 2-0 lead. The Bulls (15-23, 6-8 Mid-American Conference) piled on four more runs in the top of the second inning, allowing Power to cruise to the end.

The Bulls only needed two more runs to go up 8-0 and end the game early at the top of the sixth. Senior catcher Taylor Scott led off the inning with her first career home run over the left field wall. Senior center fielder Leandra Jew stepped up next and hit her first career home run over the center field wall. While rounding second base she emphatically pumped her fists in excitement.

“You have to feel good for them,” Roberts said. “They’re both seniors and to come and hit one out, that’s a really good day for them. I’m happy for Jew and happy for Taylor.”

The cold weather finally got to Buffalo in game two. In the bottom of the first, two throwing errors led to three Canisius runs. Junior pitcher Lace Smith only lasted 1.1 innings for the Bulls, allowing seven runs on seven hits.

“When the team is not doing it defensively we’d like our pitching staff to step up and get some outs for us,” Roberts said. “They got to buckle down, throw hard, show a little guts and get us outs.”

Junior pitcher Brieanna Baker took the mound over the next 2.1 innings and fared no better. She allowed eight runs on five hits and walked five batters. Baker is trying to get her groove back after not pitching much last season, according to Roberts. Roberts said he wants her to be able to come out of the bullpen and get six outs for the team.

Canisius was scoreless in the bottom of the third before tacking on another six runs in the fourth. Now down 15-4, the Bulls would have to score three runs to continue the game. Freshman left fielder Anna Aguon hit a sacrifice fly for Jew to score, giving her fourth run batted in of the day. The Bulls followed up by loading the bases with only one out. With the bases loaded, sophomore right fielder Ufuoma Ogagan struck out and junior first baseman Alyssa Cuevas popped up to end the game in five innings.

The Bulls face Kent State (20-19, 6-8 MAC) in a three game series on the road this weekend. The games are scheduled for 3 p.m. on Friday and a doubleheader Saturday at 1 and 3 p.m.

“Kent State is going to be tough,” Roberts said. “They’ve pretty much been the top dog in the conference for the last two to three years and we’re going to have to bring our A-game to compete. They’re going to be plenty of competition for us.”

Nathaniel Mendelson is the assistant sports editor and can be reached at nathaniel.mendelson@ubspectrum.com