News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

Women in STEM Summit to focus on roles of females in advancing sustainability

The fourth annual Women in STEM Summit, coinciding with Earth Day on April 18, will focus on the roles of women in advancing sustainability and how local leaders are influencing sustainable change.

The summit, “Sustainable Solutions and Champions of Change (A Gender Perspective)," will feature a keynote interview between SUNY Chancellor Kristina Johnson and Liesl Folks, dean of the engineering school.

The summit will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Union Theater, and will feature a multidisciplinary array of female panelists.

Local

Wind storms batters Western New York

Strong winds knocked down trees and powerlines and left thousands without power on Wednesday.

Over 23,500 New York State Electric and Gas customers in the area had no power, according to The Buffalo News. Over 5,200 National Grid customers also went without power in Erie County.

Forecasts called for winds between 30 and 50 mph, with gusts up to 70 mph, along with heavy rainfall and scattered thunderstorms in parts of the region.

The storm postponed many flights at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport and caused accidents on major roadways. Heavy rainfall also caused flooding along Route 5 and the Niagara River.

Tesla looking to hire more Western New Yorkers

Tesla’s Riverbend Factory on South Park Avenue in South Buffalo hopes to bring 1,460 additional jobs to the area, according to The Buffalo News.

The solar panel factory needs more workers as it prepares to begin installing its new solar roof on customers’ homes.

Tesla already employs 1,440 employees with entry level pay at $14 an hour. There are 34 different jobs listed on the company’s website.

National

Women accused of injuring three with handgun during shooting at YouTube’s offices

The San Bruno Police Department said the now-deceased female shooter, Nasim Najafi Aghdam, opened fire with a handgun and shot three at the YouTube’s office in San Bruno, California, according to The New York Times.

The police said Aghdam accused YouTube and Google of hurting the reach and profitability of her personal website in the weeks leading up to the Tuesday shooting.

Wednesday marks 50 anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s shooting

Thousands gathered in downtown Memphis and across the country to mourn the death and celebrate the achievements of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Wednesday marked the 50th anniversary of King’s 1968 assassination on a motel balcony in Memphis.

James Earl Ray was charged with the murder of the civil rights movement leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Global

Malaysia passes bill outlawing “fake news”

On Monday, the Malaysian government’s lower house of Parliament passed a bill outlawing “fake news.”

The legislation would punish those who publish or spread “fake news content” with up to six years in prison, according to The New York Times.

The proposal is expected to pass the Senate this week, but the Malaysian government's handling of previous scandals raise questions about the motivation for the law.

Malaysian reporters who’ve covered the prime minister’s mishandling of Malaysia’s state investment fund have been charged with offenses such as sedition and defamation. Some publications that covered the scandal were censored.

Austria proposes anti-Islamic headscarf ban in schools

Austria’s new coalition government has proposed a “child protection law,” which bans headscarves for girls aged under 10 in schools to “protect Austrian culture from Islamic influences,” according to the BBC.

Austria has passed similar laws banning face coverings including Muslim full-face veils in public spaces.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.